myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Best way to run one program after another using SCCM

xxdcmast

• Total Posts : 23
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 10370
Best way to run one program after another using SCCM Tuesday, November 02, 2010 2:31 PM (permalink)
I am creating and testing a software distribution to install a piece of software. I have the main installation working correctly but due to limitations on the command line for the program being installed I need to run another set of commands after the product has been installed on the client.

I have created a batch file that will run the commands that are necessary on the client, my question is there any way of chaining together two programs in SCCM. Basically I want the main program installation to run and then right after that I would like the batch file to run and set the required settings for the program.

I didnt see anyting in the console that looks like you could chain programs together like this. Any ideas?

Thanks

Re:Best way to run one program after another using SCCM Tuesday, November 02, 2010 3:00 PM (permalink)
    Build a package for the batch file and configure it to "run another program first", specifying the install package you mentioned:
    This is available under the "advanced" Tab on the package properties.
    Regards,
    J Sills

xxdcmast

Re:Best way to run one program after another using SCCM Tuesday, November 02, 2010 3:08 PM (permalink)
      Would it also be possible to put both installation program and the settings program in the same package and then simply advertise out the settings program with the run this program first option that selects the install program?

Im just thinking that if possible it would be better to keep the settings and the install in the same package if possible.

rbennett806

• Total Posts : 1017
        • Scores: 43
        • Reward points : 18620
        Re:Best way to run one program after another using SCCM Tuesday, November 02, 2010 3:20 PM (permalink)
        You could put everything into a single folder and use that to build the Package. Then simply create two different Programs in the Package.

Either that, or use a script wrapper to perform the actual installs...

xxdcmast

Re:Best way to run one program after another using SCCM Tuesday, November 02, 2010 3:22 PM (permalink)
          Thanks im gonna give it a shot with the two programs in one package.

gabriel

• Total Posts : 14
            • Reward points : 6990
            Re:Best way to run one program after another using SCCM Tuesday, November 02, 2010 3:35 PM (permalink)
            You may create a package with two programs. Configure the program that you want to run last to run another program first. Make this option to " Always run this program first" within the advance tab. You need to select the package and program that you create for it. This will run this program always prior to running the other program. 

skissinger

• Total Posts : 4936
              • Scores: 472
              • Reward points : 137030
              Re:Best way to run one program after another using SCCM Tuesday, November 02, 2010 8:41 PM (permalink)
              I'm also going to mention it, since no one else has yet... There is also "Task Sequences".  TS' were designed originally for deploying OSD; however, several ConfigMgr shops have leveraged TS' to deploy software in sequence because of the rich controls available within the Task Sequence.

I'm just mentioning it... using "Run another program first", or a vbscript wrapper that runs two different things are also well-known and often used methods.
              mofmaster@myitforum.com
              My Blog
              Microsoft MVP - ConfigMgr

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages