myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Chkdsk + Logging on multiple machines

Sando75

• Total Posts : 9
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 4660
Chkdsk + Logging on multiple machines Wednesday, February 09, 2011 9:21 PM (permalink)
Hi Guys,

I need to run a Chkdsk on 5000 XP machines, as a prerequisite before encrypting the hard drives.  I have successfully completed a Chkdsk "package" on some test machines, using SCCM, by packaging up the following batch file:

CD c:\Windows\System32
Echo Y | chkdsk /r
sleep 20
shutdown -r
This works well, however I would like to somehow return the results whether it was successful or not.  ie did the machine have to recover any bad sectors?

So the chkdsk program does create a bootex.log file in the root of the C:, but this file is transferred directly to the event viewer immediately after it boots into windows, post chkdsk operation.  The bootex.log file is then deleted once transferred to event viewer.

The event viewer has exactly what i need but is there anyway to extract that info from event viewer on a bulk scale?  Could I possibly make the SCCM Chkdsk package a task sequence, and the last step in the task sequence is a script to extract the chkdsk event viewer log, and dump it back to a network location in the form of a txt file with the asset name or something?

Or, should I just accept that if ChkDsk has successfully run with the -r switch, that the machine is good to encrypt?

Squirre1

• Total Posts : 4
    • Scores: 0
    • Reward points : 10450
    Re:Chkdsk + Logging on multiple machines Friday, July 20, 2012 10:27 AM (permalink)
    Did you ever find a solution for this...?

npherson

• Total Posts : 395
      • Scores: 59
      • Reward points : 72700
      Re:Chkdsk + Logging on multiple machines Friday, July 20, 2012 1:13 PM (permalink)
      You could use VBScript to query the event log for the most recent record of a chkdsk, parse the record for the information that you want to inventory, and then write that data to the registry or WMI so you can inventory it.  Rerun the package/program either on all machines at a fixed interval, or only machines haven't reported any data yet.

I think of this similarly to the BitLocker inventory workarounds.   Get the data, put it somewhere, inventory it, report/make collections with it.

Before Sherry jumps in, let me also state that you could use Desired Configuration Management to accomplish this instead of Hardware Inventory.  It all depends on your needs.

I hope these ideas help!

Nash
      <message edited by npherson on Friday, July 20, 2012 1:14 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages