myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Collection, query for KB Update

impulse303

• Total Posts : 8
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 3070
Collection, query for KB Update Friday, June 28, 2013 1:49 AM (permalink)
Hello, we've just started with SCCM 2012 Software updates and want a possibility to uninstall a specific patch if necessary.
Is it possilbe to query for an specific KBxxxxx update ? I've read Add/Remove Programs was the way to go (in CM2007), but unfortunately the sccm 2012 equivalent (Installed Applications) doesn't give me any results.

Im seaching in installed Updates Display Name is like %KBxxxx%

Thx in Advance!

gjones

• Total Posts : 2495
    • Scores: 142
    • Reward points : 142630
    Re:Collection, query for KB Update Friday, June 28, 2013 8:27 AM (permalink)
    The problem is a window problem not at CM problem..  On XP you can see the SU listed but on Vista and above most SU are not listed anymore.

Yes, you can uninstall SU from a PC but it is generally recommended that this be a manually process.

impulse303

Re:Collection, query for KB Update Saturday, June 29, 2013 6:50 AM (permalink)
      Not a good solution if 1000 machines are affected. Only thing that's left would be a generic uninstall package over all the machines.
      Is the information anywhere else ? For example a registry key ?

gjones

Re:Collection, query for KB Update Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:01 PM (permalink)
        But this doesn’t make sense..

1)    There is not going to be an easy way to create a generic uninstaller for all SU.
        2)    You need to analyze each situation to determine what is the best approach, for example
        1. Has any other SU be applied to the PC after the one you want to installed?
        2. Did one of more SU get applied at the same time as the one you want to uninstall?
        3. What will break, if you uninstall the sU?
        4. Can you uninstall the SU?

There is no simple answer to uninstalling SU. You MUST analyze the situation an determine the best course of action, therefore each situation will be different.

What problem are you trying to solve?  

impulse303

Re:Collection, query for KB Update Sunday, June 30, 2013 6:40 AM (permalink)
          Sorry if I made myself unclear. Basically what I am trying to achieve is the following:
          Create a Collection , query for a specific update that is installed. Create a package and remove it with wusa.
          If I don't know where the update is applied, I must deploy that package to a generic (that's what I meant before) collection like All Desktop Clients.

We've recently applied an update that patched the rdp component, that update broke with a 3rd party remote software
          _some_ of our customers where using. We had to uninstall that update and the only way to find the applicable machines was their hostname. Of course not all of those machines had the update applied and we had the failed machines in our deployment etc.

I personally find it cleaner to send an uninstall package only to a machine that has actually applied the update.
          Hopefully I made myself clearer now.

gjones

Re:Collection, query for KB Update Sunday, June 30, 2013 11:56 AM (permalink)
            Finding the SU might be the easy task, the hard task will like be uninstalling it reliable. Honestly, I would work on ensuring that you are reliablely removing the SU before working too much on finding the PC with that SU.

Ryan2065

• Total Posts : 83
              • Scores: 6
              • Reward points : 39890
              Re:Collection, query for KB Update Monday, July 01, 2013 8:49 AM (permalink)
              Enable the hardware inventory class "Quick Fix Engineering (Win32_QuickFixEngineering)".  This is where information about installed Windows Updates is stored after Windows XP.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message