myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Common Client Agent Settings Missing from WMI

nrunge

• Total Posts : 113
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 0
Common Client Agent Settings Missing from WMI Sunday, August 17, 2008 10:19 PM (permalink)
Every few labs that I image I will get an entire one that no longer responds to software requests. Execmgr.log shows "Common Client Agent Settings Missing from WMI".

The only common app that we have in our base image is McAfee. Could that be causing this issue?

skissinger

• Total Posts : 4909
    • Scores: 468
    • Reward points : 130930
    RE: Common Client Agent Settings Missing from WMI Monday, August 18, 2008 5:48 AM (permalink)
    No.  I'm going to guess that the client either hasn't been assigned to the primary site code, or it simply hasn't finished retreiving & evaluating policies.
    mofmaster@myitforum.com
    My Blog
    Microsoft MVP - ConfigMgr

nrunge

RE: Common Client Agent Settings Missing from WMI Monday, August 18, 2008 10:37 PM (permalink)
      If I go into the properties on the client it knows that it has a site code. There are however options missing from the "Actions" tab. Like it stops at Machine Policy and Retrieval & Eval Cycle.

When I just run ccmsetup.exe on a new computer I never have this problem. It seems to only be happening when it installs during a task sequence.

I started thinking that maybe something is hosed up with the client install. Then looking back I remembered that a consultant we had on site, not our Network Administrator, configured that package which may be the problem.

The name of the program is "Advanced Client Silent Upgrade" and the command line parameters are
      "CMSETUP.EXE /noservice SMSSITECODE=AUTO"

If that command is correct what logs can I look at to see where the client install is getting screwed up?

skissinger

RE: Common Client Agent Settings Missing from WMI Monday, August 18, 2008 11:08 PM (permalink)
        If that's not a typo, here's your problem:  CMSETUP.EXE /noservice SMSSITECODE=AUTO needs to be CCMSETUP.EXE /noservice SMSSITECODE=AUTO  (missing a C in the ccmsetup.exe command)

Otherwise, on a client--setup logs are usually in windir\system32\ccmsetup, and client log files (once installed) are in system32\ccm\logs
        mofmaster@myitforum.com
        My Blog

nrunge

RE: Common Client Agent Settings Missing from WMI Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:27 AM (permalink)
          It is a typo. I didn't copy the "C".

The setup logs seem to say that the installation is successful.

One more thing that I can think of...does it matter when the client gets installed? Right now I have it installing before a sequence of software installs (Office, Flash, Shockwave...etc) should it be at the very end.

skissinger

RE: Common Client Agent Settings Missing from WMI Tuesday, August 19, 2008 10:32 AM (permalink)
            If you've verified it has the correct site code, there's two possibilities in my mind:  the Management Point is not available, or the client is ailing.  Check the local client log files for errors in system32\ccm\logs, and/or confirm your Management Point is working.
            mofmaster@myitforum.com
            My Blog

nrunge

RE: Common Client Agent Settings Missing from WMI Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:06 PM (permalink)
              PROBLEM SOLVED...SORT OF

The problem ended up being that I had the SCCM Client installed in the image. When the task sequence to install the SCCM client happened again it detected an existing client and attempted to do a repair which failed. Below are some snippets from the client.msi.log file.
                Property(S): SmsDetectDowngrade_ErrorMessage = A newer version of the Configuration Manager Client is already installed
               Property(S): SmsDetectColocationDowngrade_ErrorMessage = A newer version of the SMS Management Point is installed. Cannot continue installing this version of the client.
               Property(S): SmsDetectUpgrade_ErrorMessage = An older version of the SMS Management Point is installed. Please upgrade the Management Point before attempting to upgrade the client.
               Property(S): WelcomeDialog_DesktopWarning = WARNING: The SMS Legacy Client or SMS 2.0 Client is already installed on this machine. Continuing will cause the SMS Legacy Client or SMS 2.0 Client to be removed.
               Property(S): InstallDialog_Warning = WARNING: Installing the advanced client on this computer may cause the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) and Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) services to stop and restart.
               Property(S): InstallErrorDialog_Title = Setup Aborted
               Property(S): InstallErrorDialog_SubTitle = Setup failed
               Property(S): InstallErrorDialog_Info = Setup encountered an error and could not continue.

If I use an image that did not have the client installed on the machine it was captured from everything goes swimmingly. So if the repair feature is broken how do I fix my client installs? Can I completely remove and re-install the SCCM client?

nrunge

RE: Common Client Agent Settings Missing from WMI Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:10 PM (permalink)
                PROBLEM SOLVED!

Ok so if you are a stupid OSD guy who hoses all of the client installs on your machines you grab your nearest Sr. Windows Admin and have him write a script that runs CCMSETUP.EXE /UNINSTALL (or ccmclean.exe /client from the 2003 tools) via GPO and then re-install the client.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message