myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Community Uploads of Application Exports

wnimmo

• Total Posts : 231
  • Scores: 6
  • Reward points : 9290
Community Uploads of Application Exports Friday, May 04, 2012 2:04 PM (permalink)
So I've been on a myITforum hiatus due in large part to legal restrictions of being in the TAP for ConfigMgr 2012. The announcement of RTM was a huge relief. Then they plastered my face up in the keynote at MMS and I realized how hard it is to sound intelligent while on camera.

Throughout the TAP I had an idea, but wasn't allowed to talk about it publicly until RTM. Well that time is here now.

You will soon experience the joy of adding thousands of applications into the app model. After about 20 you will get sick of it, and wonder if you can hire an intern to do the rest.  Then you will realize that the actual definition of an application (usually) doesn't contain any secure information - license keys, etc. With 2012, it is possible to export an application without the content, so there goes the fear of the license key.

At this point, if I were the enterprising sort I would start a site that paid a subscription fee to be able to download application definitions. I'm more of the sourceForge type though, so I'd prefer some community based location to share knowledge. If there are 100 admins who all have done 10 applications and we all upload them, suddenly we all have a usuable library of hundreds of applications.
So for starters, am I the only one who thinks that this is not a decent idea, but rather a necessity for our community?

Thoughts?

*** Secuirty warning***
An export of an application does expose the server content location and site server name, which you may not want floating out in the public. By using a test server to build your applications (which is a good idea anyways) , you would mitigate this risk. Assuming  you have some sort of validation process around scripts, performing an actual deployment of the application in your lab environment is an even better idea.

rodtrent

• Total Posts : 1208
    • Scores: 39
    • Reward points : 50400
    Re:Community Uploads of Application Exports Friday, May 04, 2012 4:15 PM (permalink)
    We can host that here on the site, even do a paid sub if you want -- but I suspect it's best to keep it community-based and free.

tomeyers

• Total Posts : 15
      • Scores: 0
      • Reward points : 11270
      Re:Community Uploads of Application Exports Friday, May 04, 2012 5:45 PM (permalink)
      Fellow TAP member here, and I think it's a great idea.  There's going to be enough heavy lifting as it is in moving everything over to 2012, so why reinvent the wheel?

wnimmo

Re:Community Uploads of Application Exports Friday, May 04, 2012 11:01 PM (permalink)
        Rod,

I agree; otherwise I'd be working on writing that site rather than posting here :-P  The idea in reality more a selfish one than anything else. If I can shave months off of the time it will take us to deliver a complete library of apps, my job and life will both be alot easier. I expect most other admins would share that goal.

I'm trying to hit up a few of my contacts and find out if it there would be any negative repurcussions associated with modifying the XML documents that might have less than desirable information embedded - server and user names. You have any connections that might be able to answer that? 

As myITForum is your playland, I'd love to hear what you think the best way to implement this would be. I'd think we'd want to implement some of the concepts from sourceForge - the ability to rate and comment on scripts. We'd want an ability to differentiate between someone who knows how to write good detection methods, and someone who queries win32_product :-P It would be nice if we had an indexed list rather than just a too-long thread or hundreds of uploaded articles.

rodtrent

Re:Community Uploads of Application Exports Tuesday, May 08, 2012 9:02 AM (permalink)
          What would you think the are should be called?  I'll set it up and you folks can beta it.

wnimmo

Re:Community Uploads of Application Exports Tuesday, May 08, 2012 9:08 AM (permalink)
            ConfigrMgr 2012 Application Exports ?

rodtrent

Re:Community Uploads of Application Exports Tuesday, May 08, 2012 11:02 AM (permalink)
              We can work on the display format, searchability, and other things, but something like this?

http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/groups/configrmgr-2012-application-exports/documents/  

BTW: As for the site's listings of content (your earlier comment), that will change soon.  That was just a placeholder while we work on the main pages.  Lots of stuff coming to enhance the site experience.
              <message edited by rodtrent on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 11:06 AM>

wnimmo

Re:Community Uploads of Application Exports Tuesday, May 08, 2012 12:14 PM (permalink)
                OK, consider this my dumb question for the day.
                Should I be able to use the login I use to get to this site to get to that link?
                Will

rodtrent

Re:Community Uploads of Application Exports Tuesday, May 08, 2012 3:31 PM (permalink)
                  Two different things, really -- but we're going to fix that soon.

The forums (here) and the site (there) have two different logins.  Soon you'll be able to just use a social login of your choosing for both.

wnimmo

Re:Community Uploads of Application Exports Wednesday, May 09, 2012 11:51 AM (permalink)
                    I've uploaded a test application export. Hopefully someone can take a look at it.

rodtrent

Re:Community Uploads of Application Exports Wednesday, May 09, 2012 4:31 PM (permalink)
                      Saw that and promoted it this morning:

http://myitforum.com/myit...ication-exports/ 

tomeyers

• Total Posts : 15
                        • Scores: 0
                        • Reward points : 11270
                        Re:Community Uploads of Application Exports Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:28 AM (permalink)
                        I'm getting a 500 error on that URL.

rodtrent

Re:Community Uploads of Application Exports Monday, May 14, 2012 8:17 AM (permalink)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message