myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

GPO printer preferences - Driver settings

gosuman84

• Total Posts : 29
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 10290
GPO printer preferences - Driver settings Saturday, January 08, 2011 9:45 PM (permalink)
Hello,

We're deploying printers for one of our sites via Group Policy preferences and (Computer Configuration -> Preferences -> Control Panel Settings -> Printers) and the printers are being deployed just fine (via TCP/IP).  However, we recently replaced on of the printers being deployed in this GPO and had to update the driver (a Xerox WC 7435).  The client machines updated with the correct driver, however, the driver defaults/printer preferences did not push with the new driver from the server the printer is shared from.  This isn't a huge deal over all, but the issue is annoying banner pages are enabled on the client machines while they are disabled in the printer defaults and printer preferences on the print server.  I've set the action to this printer to "update", but that did not resolve the issue.  Has anyone else ran into this?  I was toying with the idea of changing the action to replace, but didn't necessarily want the printer connection to be removed/readded at each startup.  Should I deploy the shared printers via User Configuration for the desired result instead?  Any help is appreciated.

dcciie2515

• Total Posts : 23
    • Scores: 0
    • Reward points : 940
    Re:GPO printer preferences - Driver settings Sunday, January 09, 2011 8:35 PM (permalink)
    • You install a shared printer on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008. The owner of this shared printer is not the SYSTEM account or a member of the Administrators group.
    • You create and apply a Group Policy preferences (GPP) setting that deploys the shared printer as a local printer on clients that are running Windows Server 2008.?/li>

gosuman84

Re:GPO printer preferences - Driver settings Sunday, January 09, 2011 10:18 PM (permalink)
      Thanks for the response, but I don't think #1 applies since it's a computer-based policy (not a share, deployed via TCP/IP).  Only the user-based policy can deploy shared printers.  Computer based policy can deploy TCP/IP or local and we're using TCP/IP.  The administrators group is the owner of the printer as well.

Same applies for #2, not a share and not deployed as a local printer. 

The user-based policy does produce the desired result, however, we'd like to keep it machine based so the printers are not constantly re-added for each user that logs in.

gosuman84

Re:GPO printer preferences - Driver settings Monday, January 10, 2011 2:46 AM (permalink)
        Figured it out.  I posted the answer in the same thread I started on the Technet forums:

http://social.technet.mic...c94eae9e?prof=required

Custom driver (config) file for Xerox machines and set the action to 'Replace'.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message