myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Meaning of "slow network connection"

iglatz

• Total Posts : 684
  • Scores: 25
  • Reward points : 25810
Meaning of "slow network connection" Tuesday, November 09, 2010 8:56 AM (permalink)
Hi folks,

I've tried to find the lowest network connection that has to be used in conjunction with the SCCM client functionality but didn't succeed.

We do have users connecting with GSM cards or WLAN using VPN. We've defined that VPN is a slow connection, so no software installation will occur except for software updates. Now I was told that it depends on the GSM or WLAN connection how much bandwidth is actually available and it can't be defined as "Slow" by default. Some have really good connections while local offices defined as "Fast" have even lower bandwidth available. I'm about to plan the installation of the SCCM client and the functionality of software updates on those clients that only use these kind of VPN connection but I'm a bit stuck because of network connectivity.

What is the slowest connection that would still work to get the SCCM client installed and software updates downloaded to the client?
Can I regulate the bandwidth usage with the settings in the Computer Client Agent?
Any chance in using a script to check for the available bandwidth before kicking off the installation?

I need to have a solution by the end of the week. Usage of secondary sites, additional DPs, internet-based Client Management is no option. Thanks.

Ingrid

bmason505

• Total Posts : 3345
    • Scores: 250
    • Reward points : 96990
    Re:Meaning of "slow network connection" Tuesday, November 09, 2010 11:05 AM (permalink)
    We did 10K BITS settings in SMS 2003 that was so slow that all we could do is patch machines.  We were able to dump that when we got 1e's Nomad.
    Brian Mason
    MCTS\MS MVP - ECM 
    http://www.mnscug.org/

iglatz

• Total Posts : 684
      • Scores: 25
      • Reward points : 25810
      Re:Meaning of "slow network connection" Wednesday, November 10, 2010 12:39 PM (permalink)
      As it looks like we're forcing these people to establish a good connection (whatever this means) and then execute a script to get the SCCM client installed at least. They all have admin rights, so this won't be an issue. I just don't know how they further plan the software updates, those are set to work via slow connection also. I guess it'll just take time until all patches will be installed after the first initialization.

Unfortunately, Nomad wouldn't be a good option either because we're not talking about clients sharing an office, but individual client being somewhere with whatever kind of VPN connection into the network. So the benefit of using Nomad wouldn't exist in sharing the same download.

Ingrid

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages