myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Per-TaskSequence variables and making them apply in Deployment Wizard

greenlava

• Total Posts : 7
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 5040
Per-TaskSequence variables and making them apply in Deployment Wizard Wednesday, December 08, 2010 4:42 PM (permalink)
Hi:

I'm looking to have 2 task Sequences doing very different things.  Both are installing Win7 The first does the following:
    1. Allow the user to join a domain or a workgroup (domain is listed in wizard as default)
    2. Allow user to select applications to install from the list (several applications are specified in customsettings.ini as defaults)

The second sequence is more pigeonholed and needs to do the following:
    1. Join a workgroup only
    2. Install a pre-defined set of applications
    3. Be run by several older ladies who are not very tech savvy (fewer steps, less clicking, no choices, etc)

I'd like to do this (in MS Exam style) with as little administrative effort as possible.

I've had a little bit of success setting sequence variables by setting Priority=TaskSequenceID,Default and setting up sections in customsettings.ini as outlined here.  I've also been able to edit my Deployment Wizard so if the second task sequence is chosen, it will not bother showing the user any of the wizard panes where they'd need to make a choice.  Problem is, default settings from the first sequence set in [Default] of customsettings.ini are bleeding over into the task sequence specific stuff.  IOW, JoinDomain and Applications from [Default] overwrite what is later re-defined in the taskSequence specific settings.

Here's the main question - does anyone know how to make Deployment Wizard re-run ZTIGather/customsettings.ini in between when a user chooses a task sequence and when the next wizard pane is shown?  That was, I could truly have a different set of "defaults" for each task sequence.

Thanks
Dan

greenlava

• Total Posts : 7
    • Scores: 0
    • Reward points : 5040
    Re:Per-TaskSequence variables and making them apply in Deployment Wizard Monday, January 03, 2011 1:13 PM (permalink)
    So, I got this working by adding a command to DeployWiz_Validate.vbs:

sCmd = "wscript.exe """ & oUtility.ScriptDir & "\ZTIGather.wsf"""
        oItem = oSHell.Run(sCmd, , true)

To the end of the ValidateTSList Function and using the task sequence specific customsettings headers as outlined here.

Thanks!
    d

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
      • No New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
      • Locked w/ New Messages