myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Pre Requisite Issue - Prior to install SMS Agent

seekhelp

• Total Posts : 14
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 8910
Pre Requisite Issue - Prior to install SMS Agent Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:27 PM (permalink)
First Question

we have one server without any service pack (Window 2K3 Standard Edition. when i try to install SMS Agent on this server it says minimum requirement if window 2k sp4 or window 2k3 sp1.
as we do not have SP1 install, what i understand is either i have to rebuild the server to install SP1 or install SP2 directly without SP1.
question is can i be able to install SP2 Directly on Win 2K3 Standard edition server without SP1 ? if yes is there any specific SP2 i should install ?

Second Question
on the same server while trying to install SP2 it gives an error saying "Setup has detected that the distributed Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC) Service is disabled. The MSDTC Service is required for the successfull installation of Microsoft Window Server 2003 Service Pack 2. Please Enable the MSDTC Service and then restart the Installation of SP2"
question is will there be any impact to server or application if i start this server if it is then where will it impact ?

Early Reply Appreciated.

bmason505

• Total Posts : 3346
    • Scores: 250
    • Reward points : 98260
    RE: Pre Requisite Issue - Prior to install SMS Agent Thursday, March 27, 2008 1:12 PM (permalink)
    There is only the one SP2; install it - it fixes a million bugs.  There are quite a few post SP2 patches now too so the longer you delay, the more of those you'll have to install.

So many apps need MSDTC, I'm surprised you don't have to run it.  I'd think you're going to have a much bigger impact from the SP2 install itself (downtime\services restarted\server restarted) than just starting MSDTC.
    Brian Mason
    MCTS\MS MVP - ECM 
    http://www.mnscug.org/
    Attend MMS in November!

nstout

• Total Posts : 68
      • Scores: 4
      • Reward points : 470
      RE: Pre Requisite Issue - Prior to install SMS Agent Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:01 PM (permalink)
      The only version you need to worry about is 32 vs 64 bit but you will get an error if you try to install the wrong one anyway. Here is technet info to help you select the right one. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb229701.aspx

We installed SP2 on more than 20 servers that did not have SP1 installed first. We experienced no issues at all except for our SMS server and we had to reset those lovely IIS and DCOM permissions explained here: http://www.myitforum.com/articles/8/view.asp?id=8753.

seekhelp

RE: Pre Requisite Issue - Prior to install SMS Agent Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:32 PM (permalink)
        Thanks for the reply but want to confirm for below thing.

once i download SP2 on D drive as i dont have space on C and extract it on D itself and if i run setup.exe from D, will it ask me to which drive i want to install or without asking it will install to C drive ?

if i enable MSDTC Service right now and install SP2 later, would this service effect anywhere ?

nstout

• Total Posts : 68
          • Scores: 4
          • Reward points : 470
          RE: Pre Requisite Issue - Prior to install SMS Agent Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:37 PM (permalink)
          It will install to the same directory that the operating system files are installed to. I recommend trying to clean up some space on your OS drive. If the server is running IIS there are usually lots of logs stored in system32\logfiles. That is the first place I would look. Also check to see if there are any large old .dmp files you can safely get rid of.

bmason505

RE: Pre Requisite Issue - Prior to install SMS Agent Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:39 PM (permalink)
            It will want to create a ServicePackFiles in the Windows folder.  You could save space by using a switch so you can never uninstall, but I'm not sure if there is a switch to tell it where to put this ServicePackFiles folder.  If there is enough to finish the install, you could move that folder after and point the registry to the new location.

I can't see MSDTC affecting anything.  But I could be wrong.  If I were a paid consultant, I'd look it up to be sure.  If it were me at work, I'd just enable it and worry about it after, because as I said, I just don't see how it could be detremental in any way.
            Brian Mason
            MCTS\MS MVP - ECM 
            Attend MMS in November!

seekhelp

RE: Pre Requisite Issue - Prior to install SMS Agent Thursday, March 27, 2008 4:12 PM (permalink)
              Thanks Brian, would you be please little more specific.

"you said it will create a servicepack files in window folder" - i assume it will be under system "C" Drive.

if its system drive then why i need folder to move and point the registry to new location. what would be registry location if i need to point ?

bmason505

RE: Pre Requisite Issue - Prior to install SMS Agent Thursday, March 27, 2008 4:49 PM (permalink)
                Oh, I suppose I should say ServicePackFiles will go into %windir% so that's probably C:\Windows for you.

And if you're trying to save space on the C drive, that's about 750 MB.  Where in the registry?  All over the place.  You'd have to do a find\replace.  I only suggest it because I had a server like that once that was really choked for space.  Not sure if it's commonly done.
                Brian Mason
                MCTS\MS MVP - ECM 
                Attend MMS in November!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages