myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Rebooting outside of maintenance window

rdesjardins

• Total Posts : 4
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 0
Rebooting outside of maintenance window Thursday, August 06, 2009 1:56 PM (permalink)
SCCM 2007 SP1 - I have this perplexing problem where I deploy Software updates, specify to install immediately, but not to reboot outside of maintenaince window.  The Maintenance windows is set to 9 pm - 4 am.  My goal is to deploy during the day and if users reboot before going home, fine, otherwise reboot will take place during the window.  On quite a few workstations, but not all, they start the 5 minute countdown and reboot during the day.  The RebootCoordinator.log shows "Reboot Settings per collection for the client are missing from the WMI."  I have tried to repair the WMI to no avail.  I haven't found much about this except to enable No auto-restart for updates on GPO.  That still pops up repeatedly that a reboot is needed and doesn't address the core issue.  Any thoughts?

Ray Desjardins
Computer Support Supervisor
Information Technology Division
Budget & Administrative Services Department
Charlotte County Government
Port Charlotte, FL

clindsay

• Total Posts : 1
    RE: Rebooting outside of maintenance window Thursday, August 06, 2009 2:22 PM (permalink)
    Are the computers that are rebooting members of the collection where you have applied a maintenance window?  Also, do the "Restart Settings" specify supressing the system restart (under the Restart Settings tab in the properties window of the update deployment package)?
    <message edited by clindsay on Thursday, August 06, 2009 2:23 PM>
    Charles Lindsay
    District 7 - FDOT
    Tampa, Florida

rdesjardins

RE: Rebooting outside of maintenance window Thursday, August 06, 2009 2:31 PM (permalink)
      Thank for the reply fellow Floridian,

Yes, the collections that are receiving the updates do have the maintenance window and I do not suppress restarts on workstations.  I do want them to restart, just not outside of maintenance windows.

Ray Desjardins
      Port Charlotte, FL

michaelnowell

• Total Posts : 73
        • Scores: 4
        • Reward points : 10920
        RE: Rebooting outside of maintenance window Thursday, August 06, 2009 2:55 PM (permalink)
        Are these computers a member of a different collection that have another maintenaince window associated with it ? 

rdesjardins

RE: Rebooting outside of maintenance window Thursday, August 06, 2009 3:14 PM (permalink)
          Good question!

Only the All Systems Collection, All XP and All Desktops (no maintenance windows), but my clients that are following the maintenance window are in those collections also.  They behave fine, where they get the red icon on the task tray that gives a message when you mouse over that a reboot is pending.

Ultimately, I want to use WOL and just do it off hours, but I do have some wireless/broadband clients where that would not work and I should be able to do this.  I have a virtual machine that experiences this so I can play around with it.  I really want to reslove this before next Tuesday or I will just have users leave PC's on at night for updates.  That 5 minute countdown can really anger people as they scramble to save their work.  I am going to try to repair WMI again.  Driving me nuts!

michaelnowell

• Total Posts : 73
            • Scores: 4
            • Reward points : 10920
            RE: Rebooting outside of maintenance window Thursday, August 06, 2009 3:56 PM (permalink)
            Maintenaince windows in ConfigMgr are cumulative.  So if a machine is a member of two collections that both have a maintenaince window assigned to them (Collection 1 = 9pm-2am, Collection 2 = 1am to 6am) it will allow a restart at anytime within the hours specified from both windows (e.g. 9pm-6am).  So you may have the computers that are experiencing this behaviour in multiple collections, each with maintenance windows. 

You can also adjust the countdown to be longer than 5 minutes if you want to via the computer client agent properties.

rdesjardins

RE: Rebooting outside of maintenance window Friday, August 07, 2009 8:14 AM (permalink)
              Thanks for the reply.  That does not appear to be the issue here.  The only other collections that these workstations belong to are system collections (All Systems, All XP, etc...) and they do not have maintenance windows.  In addition, I have clients that are members of all these collections that behave as desired.  The RebootCoordinator log entry referring to the "reboot settings per collection are missing from the WMI." leads me to believe that WMI is involved.

Ray Desjardins
              Port Charlotte, FL

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages