myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Run with Admin & MSI' s

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 23 of 23
broadruck

• Total Posts : 50
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 12110
RE: Run with Admin & MSI' s Friday, January 20, 2006 10:38 AM (permalink)
Take a look at psexec from sysinternals.com. It is part of their pstools. I find this group of tools invaluable. The psexec can be used local or remotely on a single computer or multiple computers. You can add the password in the command line, but you will want to wrap it if you are sending it through sms.
< Message edited by BRoadruck -- 1/20/2006 10:39:33 AM >

wkaiser

• Total Posts : 148
    • Scores: 1
    • Reward points : 0
    RE: Run with Admin & MSI' s Friday, January 20, 2006 12:27 PM (permalink)
    Have you tried running the install as the user with the AlwaysInstallElevated reg key set?
    Will

Consultant in all things System Center

sjames

• Total Posts : 114
      • Scores: 14
      • Reward points : 0
      RE: Run with Admin & MSI' s Tuesday, January 24, 2006 12:12 PM (permalink)
      If you' re using SMS then advertise this program configured to run in the user' s context. SMS is then capable of using Windows Installer elevated rights to complete any actions that require admin level rights. This is similar to what happens when you deploy MSIs to users using Group Policy.

If you import the MSI in SMS (use import package from definition and point to the MSI) then you should get all the relevant programs created automatically, including per user installations. Note that SMS will only elevate if you deploy using /I (as opposed to /ju for example) in your msiexec command line.

Note that this is very different to just running the MSI outside of SMS. In this case it is not a managed installation and therefore elevation will not occur, unless you configure the AlwaysInstallElevated key.

I recommend you avoid configuring the AlwaysInstallElevated key or policy if at all possible, and you should not need to do this if you deploy using SMS.

Take a look at the Concepts, Planning and Deployment Guide under Software Distribution Security. This has a small section discussing elevation.

If you deploy with SMS as configured above and still have issues then I suggest you get in touch with the application vendor to get advice on a managed installation. Take a look at the specific msi and SMS' s execmgr log files first though to see if there is anything obvious. Look for error 10046 (I think) or anything mentioning that elevation was unsuccessful.
      Stuart James (UK)
      View my blog

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
        Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 23 of 23

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages