myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

SCCM 2007 client will not install on Windows 7 64-bit workstations

lgonzales995

• Total Posts : 3
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 420
SCCM 2007 client will not install on Windows 7 64-bit workstations Friday, February 26, 2010 1:12 PM (permalink)
I am having a problem installing the System center Configuration Manager client on windows 7 64-bit clients. We are doing a refresh on our Windows XP machines and moving to Windows 7. Most of our analytics department needs to run 64-bit workstations.

I have gone in and imaged a machine to specification and after imaging is complete I am going and running the client on the machine. When i run the client, I see the ccmsetup application start up in task manager and then after a few seconds the applications quits and the client never gets installed. BTW, the client version is 4.0.6221.100.

Anyone have an idea as to why the client isn't running. I've tried several things such as disabling UAC, stopping the firewall, and enabling the administrator account and still no joy.

bmason505

• Total Posts : 3346
    • Scores: 250
    • Reward points : 98260
    RE: SCCM 2007 client will not install on Windows 7 64-bit workstations Friday, February 26, 2010 1:57 PM (permalink)
    We install it with the UAC just fine (and on x64).  What's the ccmsetup.log have to say?
    Brian Mason
    MCTS\MS MVP - ECM 
    http://www.mnscug.org/
    Attend MMS in November!

anyweb

• Total Posts : 802
      • Scores: 62
      • Reward points : 56810
      RE: SCCM 2007 client will not install on Windows 7 64-bit workstations Friday, February 26, 2010 2:20 PM (permalink)
      works fine here, verify that the account you are using to install the client with (client push) is a local administrator on that computer

Step by Step ConfigMgr 2007 Guides | Step by Step ConfigMgr 2012 Guides | Microsoft MVP  - Configmgr

anyweb

• Total Posts : 802
        • Scores: 62
        • Reward points : 56810
        RE: SCCM 2007 client will not install on Windows 7 64-bit workstations Friday, February 26, 2010 2:23 PM (permalink)
        just noticed your version

BTW, the client version is 4.0.6221.100.

that won't work, you need the sp2 version to manage windows 7 clients

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/481-how-can-i-determine-which-version-of-sccm-2007-is-installed/

here's one way of getting the client out
        http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1444-upgrading-configmgr-client-after-service-pack-upgrade/
        Step by Step ConfigMgr 2007 Guides | Step by Step ConfigMgr 2012 Guides | Microsoft MVP  - Configmgr

swyck

• Total Posts : 319
          • Scores: 5
          • Reward points : 32780
          RE: SCCM 2007 client will not install on Windows 7 64-bit workstations Friday, February 26, 2010 2:56 PM (permalink)
          I recall we were able to install SP1 clients on Windows 7, prior to upgrading to SP2.  However it is correct that is not really supported so I recommend upgrading if you will be working with Windows 7.

As for why its not installing, ccmsetup.log will tell a lot about why.

lgonzales995

RE: SCCM 2007 client will not install on Windows 7 64-bit workstations Friday, February 26, 2010 3:30 PM (permalink)
            I see in the ccmsetup.log file ccmsetup failed to find client.msi, Also, the log states that it could not verify windowsupdateaget30-x64.exe. So it is not finding the correct files to download. I am going to upgrade the site, over the weekend, try to install the updated client for Windows 7 once thats done.

thanks everyone. i'll update on the status as soon as i know...

rroman

• Total Posts : 105
              • Scores: 2
              • Reward points : 27620
              RE: SCCM 2007 client will not install on Windows 7 64-bit workstations Monday, March 01, 2010 1:40 PM (permalink)
              We also used the SP1 version for a while at my company with no issues before upgrading the site to SP2. I was running Server 08 Enterprise on my laptop at the time, then switched to W7 x64, worked fine for both although not officially supported till SP2. We just recently went to SP2.

lgonzales995

RE: SCCM 2007 client will not install on Windows 7 64-bit workstations Tuesday, March 02, 2010 11:55 AM (permalink)
                Got it working… I had to go in and update the site in order to get it to work.
                First, I upgraded SQL server 2005 to Service Pack 3. Second, I ran the WSUS Service Pack 2 upgrade. After that I ran Windows Update and updated the server. Finally, I ran the SCCM 2007 Service Pack 2 DVD and ran the perquisite checker. Recieved a few warnings and took care of those by downloading the appropriate patches, hotfixes and installed them. Started up the installation and everything was going fine until I received a “Fatal Error” installing components and had to abort the install. Looking at the log files the system couldn’t find WAIK.MSI so I had to download the AIK iso and install AIK.
                Started up the installation again and again got an error telling me that I had the incorrect version of AIK and to uninstall the version I had installed earlier. Looking on Microsoft’s site there are two versions of AIK one named vista_6000.16386.061101-2205-LRMAIK_EN.img dated 2/13/2007 and the other named 6001.18000.080118-1840-kb3aikl_en.iso dated 4/9/2008.
                Uninstalled the first one and installed the second one, started up SCCM 2007 Service Pack 2 and this time it installed without a problem.
                So now I have Service Pack 2 installed on SCCM 2007 and am able to install the client on the 64-bit Windows 7 clients, they’re showing up in the console.
                Thanks everyone appreciate all the help…

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message