myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

SCCM 2012 - Software uninstall assistance needed.

ingram_59

• Total Posts : 5
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 2440
SCCM 2012 - Software uninstall assistance needed. Monday, October 10, 2016 3:29 PM (permalink)
There is an older application (Fishbowl 2013) running on over 100 machines. It was manually installed three years ago. We just recently moved to SCCM.  It was an EXE install and there is NO uninstall value in the registry to reference.

The uninstall uses "uninstall.exe", located in the "program files (x86)\Fishbowl" folder.  There are no flags that will allow me to provide input to the uninstaller.  I am able to do a removal on the local machine without incident. The vendor was of no help.

What I want to do is use SCCM to uninstall this application so that we don't have to touch over 100 machines.  I've tried creating a 'package' and an 'application', with a CMD file containing the full path to the uninstall command, but it doesn't work in either scenario.  I don't want to 'install', the uninstaller, which is what both options want to do. I simply want to run the uninstaller 'hidden', so users get no prompts and so it completes automatically.  I am not a powershell coder. I find it cryptic and confusing and am not able grasp it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dino

fracine

• Total Posts : 504
    • Scores: 23
    • Reward points : 38240
    Re:SCCM 2012 - Software uninstall assistance needed. Tuesday, October 11, 2016 5:49 AM (permalink)
    Hi,

SCCM has Nothing to do with that. SCCM is just a timer running what you need.
    What you need is to understand what kind of installer your program is using and what it is doing during setup. May be you can just remove some directories and  registry keys? May be you will need an automation software like Autoit or Winbatch? May be capturing the installation to create a MSI and then using it to uninstall.

You need to understand what the software is doing during setup first.

Thanks,

François Racine
    Analyst
    Please rate my post :)

ingram_59

• Total Posts : 5
      • Reward points : 2440
      Re:SCCM 2012 - Software uninstall assistance needed. Tuesday, October 11, 2016 9:48 AM (permalink)
      The manual uninstall is a simple solution, but one that might work. I can create a batch file to handle the removal. I'll give it a try....

mwebber

• Total Posts : 3
        • Reward points : 2940
        Re:SCCM 2012 - Software uninstall assistance needed. Thursday, November 03, 2016 5:50 PM (permalink)
        It would se something like this would be better achieved by using a GPO logon or logoff script.  Then you could use SCCM to verify if the software was removed.

You could use a compliancy rule to see if the file exists and then have it alert you if it is detected.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message