myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

SCCM Client/WMI Fix

ScottGill

• Total Posts : 183
  • Scores: 6
  • Reward points : 5140
SCCM Client/WMI Fix Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:48 PM (permalink)
I am looking for a solution to a problem that has gotten out of hand here.  WMI corruption seems to be rampant and I can't fix them fast enough.  I need an automated way to fix them, I was thinking about running a script at system boot via GPO but that's not reliable enough.  Most of our users refuse to reboot their machines for months at a time so that just won't solve the problem.

A while back I stumbled on a 3rd party application which installed as a service to monitor the health of the sms client and wmi and claimed it could repair them automatically.  Unfortunately I can't recall the name of the product and I can't seem to find it on the net.  Can anyone think of a solution that provides what I need?

Thanks.
Scott Gill
SCCM Consultant

schrempp_b

• Total Posts : 41
    • Scores: 0
    • Reward points : 8520
    RE: SCCM Client/WMI Fix Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:59 PM (permalink)
    I'm not sure about the app you're looking for but if you end up needing to do it via GPO and want a fix for users that don't shut down I have something that could help. It's a VBS that shuts down all our machines every Friday night and logs the user off the rest of the week. I just set the advertisement to run every day during our maintainence window so that it happens after hours. Let me know if that would help.

bmason505

• Total Posts : 3327
      • Scores: 250
      • Reward points : 91980
      RE: SCCM Client/WMI Fix Thursday, September 24, 2009 8:55 PM (permalink)
      I'd use WMIDiag v2 and try to find the root cause (solve a problem instead of treating a symptom).
      Brian Mason
      MCTS\MS MVP - ECM 
      http://www.mnscug.org/

skissinger

• Total Posts : 4866
        • Scores: 464
        • Reward points : 123970
        RE: SCCM Client/WMI Fix Friday, September 25, 2009 8:23 AM (permalink)
        Although this won't help you with existing broken WMI clients, there was a "WMI Reliability update" for XP workstations released a while ago. If you haven't deployed that, it's a preventative maintenance measure.

Otherwise, as Brian mentioned, wmidiag is the right way to diagnose the problem, and hopefully determine what might be causing the corruption in the first place.
        mofmaster@myitforum.com
        My Blog
        Microsoft MVP - ConfigMgr

mhudson

• Total Posts : 794
          • Scores: 33
          • Reward points : 27620
          RE: SCCM Client/WMI Fix Friday, September 25, 2009 9:03 AM (permalink)
          Well if you know the machines that have a problem then you could force a vbscript like this:
          -------------------
          "net stop winmgmt"
          If XP then "rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository"
          If vista  "winmgmt  /salvagerepository"
          "net start winmgmt"
          "Net Stop SMS Agent Host"
          "Net start  SMS agent host"
          ------------------

Just an idea.  I use the WMIDiag tool all the time to determine why a machine just stops sending HW inventory or some other odd problem.  I would agree the WMI corruption can be a big issue and not always easy to track down.

If

ScottGill

RE: SCCM Client/WMI Fix Friday, September 25, 2009 12:41 PM (permalink)
            @schrempp_b
            The problem with that is that we have 24x7 users as well as a large number of very sensitive users who will complain to management and cause headaches if we reboot their machines.  Believe me I've been working on a solution for the whole reboot thing for over a year, and I still don't have a proper solution yet.

@bmason505
            I'll try that but it brings up a similar problem where the majority of the machines I have to repair are logged in nonstop so I don't get a chance to really log in and deal with the issue, instead I just use PSExec to repair WMI without directly impacting the user.  Also, I'd like something automated where I don't have to deal with it at all.

@skissinger
            Yup I know about the reliability update... However, if you look closely MS claims they ported back the changes from Vista, but the update only includes a single DLL file so that's highly doubtful, especially when you consider how different the WMI is in Vista.  I have already deployed this to all of our SP2 machines (SP3 includes the update and has been installed on the majority of our systems).

@mhudson
            Yeah I know I could do that, but it doesn't solve the critical problem where I don't want to be the one identifying the broken ones, I'd want the script/application to do that for me.

Has anyone seen WMI issues with Vista/Win7?  I have yet to see a problem on those OS's (though I have seen SMS break a couple times, but I didn't have to repair the WMI).
            Scott Gill
            SCCM Consultant

bmason505

• Total Posts : 3327
              • Scores: 250
              • Reward points : 91980
              RE: SCCM Client/WMI Fix Friday, September 25, 2009 1:49 PM (permalink)
              If the problem has suddenly started in big numbers out of the blue, it should be relatively easy to find a good and bad machine to compare.  WMIDiag can be run remotely so you don't have to logon to get results.  After running it, be sure to look at the small log generated since it gets to the heart of the issues; the big one is useless.
              Brian Mason
              MCTS\MS MVP - ECM 
              http://www.mnscug.org/

ScottGill

RE: SCCM Client/WMI Fix Friday, September 25, 2009 6:35 PM (permalink)
                I don't think the problem has suddenly popped up, I really think that they've all been missed up until now.  I've been fixing WMI's for 2 weeks straight (b/c I haven't looked closely at it for several months).  After fixing about 300-400 of them I'm really just done with this whole process.  Fortunately one of my vendors has a solution coming out soon.  Anyone else having this problem may want to check this out:

http://adaptiva.com/products_client_health.html
                Scott Gill
                SCCM Consultant

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages