myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

SCCM Right Click Tools - The Awesome Cool Tool by Now Micro

jdomeier

• Total Posts : 159
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 33570
SCCM Right Click Tools - The Awesome Cool Tool by Now Micro Saturday, April 15, 2017 6:53 AM (permalink)
I think I know the authors and creators of this cool SCCM 2012 Right Click tools created by Now Micro from St. Paul, MN? or close to it.. (R.E. and now F.B.) I want to keep their full names protected but I know most of you know them or will know them in the upcoming MMS at MOA 2017.  I was going to ask this question at MMS 2017 but figured I would want the answer now instead of waiting or maybe by the time MMS comes around they will have a solution to my question below, if they don't have one at the present time, ;-). Anyways, Whoever is the author and now the supporting this cool tool for SCCM 2012,  I would like to know if there is a way if you can run the tool as an elevated user?  Here's the deal.  Each member in our IT  group have 2 accounts. a regular non local admin account (Outlook, Lync, etc) and we have an elevated Local Admin Account to connect to workstations wmi, c$, stuff we can do.  Right now for reasons I don't want to disclosed is that we have to run the SCCM 2012 Console as our regular account.. When we use the now micro right click tools to run initiate inventories or connect to the c$ or ccm folders, etc it errors out because we are using our regular account that does not have access to the workstations.  Is there a way to get around this?  I don't want to do this and that and this and that and this and that.  I want to launch the sccm console as one regular user while using the right click tools as a different elevated user?
I know this can be done somehow but I can't figure it out.
It would really alleviate a lot of issues and frustrations we are seeing daily..

Thank you 
Jerry

fracine

• Total Posts : 507
    • Scores: 23
    • Reward points : 42850
    Re:SCCM Right Click Tools - The Awesome Cool Tool by Now Micro Saturday, April 15, 2017 7:05 AM (permalink)
    jdomeier

I think I know the authors and creators of this cool SCCM 2012 Right Click tools created by Now Micro from St. Paul, MN? or close to it.. (R.E. and now F.B.) I want to keep their full names protected but I know most of you know them or will know them in the upcoming MMS at MOA 2017.  I was going to ask this question at MMS 2017 but figured I would want the answer now instead of waiting or maybe by the time MMS comes around they will have a solution to my question below, if they don't have one at the present time, ;-). Anyways, Whoever is the author and now the supporting this cool tool for SCCM 2012,  I would like to know if there is a way if you can run the tool as an elevated user?  Here's the deal.  Each member in our IT  group have 2 accounts. a regular non local admin account (Outlook, Lync, etc) and we have an elevated Local Admin Account to connect to workstations wmi, c$, stuff we can do.  Right now for reasons I don't want to disclosed is that we have to run the SCCM 2012 Console as our regular account.. When we use the now micro right click tools to run initiate inventories or connect to the c$ or ccm folders, etc it errors out because we are using our regular account that does not have access to the workstations.  Is there a way to get around this?  I don't want to do this and that and this and that and this and that.  I want to launch the sccm console as one regular user while using the right click tools as a different elevated user?
    I know this can be done somehow but I can't figure it out.
    It would really alleviate a lot of issues and frustrations we are seeing daily.. 

Actually our IT team is local admin on all computers. This is bad. I believe the Right Click tool is wonderfull as a tool but it is bad on security point of view because you need admin rights on all computers to use fully that tool.

Probably you would need to run as the admin console with an admin account and then everything would be working. But the design is bad. You should not had that need. I don't know if other peoples found another work around but would like to read it too.

François Racine
    Analyst
    Please rate my post :)

skissinger

• Total Posts : 5126
      • Scores: 504
      • Reward points : 199690
      Re:SCCM Right Click Tools - The Awesome Cool Tool by Now Micro Tuesday, April 18, 2017 10:16 AM (permalink)
      My opinion (and it's just my opinion); perhaps console right-click tools simply aren't a good fit for your company.  At my company, we also evaluated several different right-click tools, and based on multiple factors, determined they weren't a good 'fit' for our company, either.
      What we've suggested to SOME support staff (not all; again, needs are different for different support staff), that they look at Roger Zanders' Collection Commander, if they need to "run a script remotely against multiple boxes", because they *do* happen to be Administrators on those remote boxes.  https://cmcollctr.codeplex.com/
      If it's just 1 client, then potentially use Roger Zanders' Client Center.
      I know your ask was "help me figure out how to make it work in the console, with alternate credentials" --and not suggest a completely separate tool--but I can't help you with that particular ask.  As I said... it's just my opinion and I could be wrong and likely am.
      mofmaster@myitforum.com
      My Blog
      Microsoft MVP 2007-2015 - ConfigMgr

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages