myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 28
mlucero

• Total Posts : 947
  • Scores: 42
  • Reward points : 26140
Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI. Wednesday, July 12, 2006 11:04 AM (permalink)
I have many clients that are generating this error in the execmgr.log:

Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI.

I've gone through the following to try and fix the problem:

• Ran ccmclean
  • Forced a rebuild of WMI
  • Reinstalled the SMS Client
  • Forced a client repair

I still cannot get any client which has this error to actually work. Can any please help me here?

pcervantes

• Total Posts : 85
    • Scores: 0
    • Reward points : 5570
    RE: Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI. Monday, July 17, 2006 11:01 AM (permalink)
    Is the site code assigned to the client?

abhai

• Total Posts : 27
      • Scores: 3
      • Reward points : 0
      RE: Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI. Monday, July 17, 2006 11:31 AM (permalink)
      Try to Discover SiteCode..Getting the siteCode??
      Abhai Srivastava
      Project Engineer,SMS 2003

zemporio

• Total Posts : 107
        RE: Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI. Friday, December 08, 2006 2:36 PM (permalink)
        Mlucero,
        did you get this issue fixed. I am having the same problem on some of the clients?

carway

• Total Posts : 176
          • Scores: 4
          RE: Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI. Friday, December 08, 2006 3:22 PM (permalink)
          I usually see that on new newly installed clients that haven't received their first policy download yet. So I would check ClientLocation.log to see that the client is assigned to the proper site code and LocationServices.log to see that the client is retrieving its site info from AD and getting a proxy MP assignment.

If you don't see a statement like Current AD site of machine is XYZ in locationservices.log AND you use AD Sites as your SMS Site Boundaries then the PC will have issues.

zemporio

• Total Posts : 107
            RE: Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI. Friday, December 08, 2006 3:53 PM (permalink)
            thx carway,
            in this case service "protected storage" was disabled and when i enabled the service and restarted ccmhost service, the errror was gone. :)
            <message edited by zemporio on Friday, December 08, 2006 7:27 PM>

ddaugherty

• Total Posts : 428
              • Scores: 13
              • Reward points : 16810
              RE: Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI. Saturday, December 09, 2006 7:24 AM (permalink)
              Really, the list of causes for this error is quite long. Generally, it could be anything that stops the advanced client install from completing properly.

jsimonsen

• Total Posts : 3
                RE: Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI. Tuesday, July 31, 2007 9:56 AM (permalink)
                I really hope this is long solved, but I just had the same error and it turned out to be a missing XML file registration (see http://www.myitforum.com/articles/8/view.asp?id=8649)
                I found this info on MS:
                XML file registration is unsuccessful

loadTOCNode(3, 'moreinformation');
                An SMS 2003 Advanced Client computer may not obtain configuration settings from the site server. When this occurs, you may receive an error message that resembles the following in the Ccmexec.log file on the SMS Advanced Client computer:
                Error creating XML DOM (0x80040154) CForwarder_Base::Send failed (0x80004005).
                In this case, the Msxml3.dll file may not be registered or is missing.

Solution Download the Msxml3.msi file and install it on the computers that require Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7) or later versions to be installed. Installing the Msxml3.msi file also registers the additional DLL files. Note To download the Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7) release, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
                http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=28494391-052b-42ff-9674-f752bdca9582&displaylang=en

kingskawn

• Total Posts : 378
                  • Scores: -2
                  • Reward points : 16740
                  RE: Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI. Wednesday, December 24, 2008 6:43 AM (permalink)
                  I've got the same probleme. My boundaries are based on AD. Is the installation of MSXML3.0 the real solution for this or can I install the newest MSXML6.0 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=993c0bcf-3bcf-4009-be21-27e85e1857b1&DisplayLang=en). Logically, yes

Or do I have to change my boundaries to ip addresses or like zemporio said; restart 'protected storage' and restart 'ccmhost'?

Maybe there's a clearer solution as this post is from 2006

Rickym61

• Total Posts : 217
                    • Scores: 23
                    • Reward points : 18390
                    RE: Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI. Wednesday, December 24, 2008 9:50 AM (permalink)
                    You can have boundaries set as AD sites, or just subnets, or a combo of both.
                    Installing MSXML6.0 shouldnt be an issue.
                    Are you clients, picking up anything in locationservices.log or clientlocation.log?

kingskawn

RE: Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI. Wednesday, December 24, 2008 10:10 AM (permalink)
                      The locationservices.log and clientlocation.log are ok. It shows the right site code and it's connected to the good MP but the client still is v 2.50.3174.1152 and the new client must be 4.00.6221.1000.
                      This XP has been installed with an image that also installs the SMS2003 client. I deactivated this, but how to solve this, upgrade the older clients the right way?

We have an old SMS2003 in the domain and can't shutdown it right now but the client above isn't configured to run on this SMS2003 server.

Rickym61

RE: Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI. Wednesday, December 24, 2008 10:23 AM (permalink)
                        Hmm, that client version is 2.50.3174.1152 – (SMS 2003 SP1 with ITMU Hotfixes) http://netsaber.wordpress.com/2006/06/29/sms-2003-advanced-client-versions/
                        Ok, so you are now upgrading clients to SCCM, based on client version 4.00.6221.1000, what method are you using, Client Push, SCCM Advert, GPO?
                        Have you checked that you dont have overlapping boundaries set in SMS and SCCM site servers?

Do SCCM client install logs show any errors when installing?

kingskawn

RE: Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI. Wednesday, December 24, 2008 10:57 AM (permalink)
                          SCCM clients are 100% healthy (for now )

I'm installing the SCCM clients that have the old SMS2003 clients through the SCCM console 'Install client' and I also choose the 'Always install (repair or upgrade existing client)'. The problem for GPO's is that I can't do it because the machines we support begins with a certain name and the others we don't support. I could make an OU in AD with the needed computers but the IT there would be angry if we change their managed AD

Rickym61

RE: Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI. Monday, December 29, 2008 2:08 PM (permalink)
                            kingskawn.

You still having issues? Just so we know where we are at, can you confirm the following and add anything else you think will be of help to assist troubleshooting further.

Issue still exists.
                            All clients?
                            Certain clients assigned to same site?
                            ccmsetup logs dont show any errors during install?

kingskawn

RE: Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI. Monday, December 29, 2008 4:41 PM (permalink)
                              I think that I'm a special one.

We have 2 different deployement systems. 1 is SMS2003 and the other 1 is SCCM

We are staging for some clients windows XP machines with an XML that does all the software install like adobe reader, office 2003, snagit, antivirus and the SMS2003 Advanced client. On that domain there is a policy that does the client assignment. But that assignment is the site code of the new SCCM domain.
                              I asked to delete the installation of the SMS2003 Advanced client for future installs but I have 100 machines that must have SCCM client.
                              The SMS2003 system must be deleted but not right now because there isn't a free server yet to create a secondary site for that client so it must stay on that system.

As for the installation of the SCCM client that must be installed on that same machine it never gets upgraded from SMS2003 advanced client to SCCM client. And I don't know why.

I can attach some logs but which one can help in this case? Clientlocation.log? In clientlocation it gets the right MP and for the certificates they are 'exportable' as it says.

What else?

Rickym61

RE: Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI. Monday, December 29, 2008 5:35 PM (permalink)
                                just to clarify a  few things.

ORIGINAL: kingskawn
                                We are staging for some clients windows XP machines with an XML that does all the software install like adobe reader, office 2003, snagit, antivirus and the SMS2003 Advanced client. On that domain there is a policy that does the client assignment. But that assignment is the site code of the new SCCM domain

You have both the current SMS and SCCM as the same site code?
                                Do both have the same AD sites/ip subnets setup for the boundaries?
                                Both in the same Forest?
                                Are the 2 servers the same name?

On that domain there is a policy that does the client assignment. But that assignment is the site code of the new SCCM domain

How is this done? VB, bat file etc?

I asked to delete the installation of the SMS2003 Advanced client for future installs but I have 100 machines that must have SCCM client.
                                The SMS2003 system must be deleted but not right now because there isn't a free server yet to create a secondary site for that client so it must stay on that system.

As for the installation of the SCCM client that must be installed on that same machine it never gets upgraded from SMS2003 advanced client to SCCM client. And I don't know why.

When 1 of these machines has the SMS 2003 client installed, does everything work, gets all policies, runs adverts etc?

I can attach some logs but which one can help in this case? Clientlocation.log? In clientlocation it gets the right MP and for the certificates they are 'exportable' as it says.

When you install/upgrade from SMS to SCCM via ClientPush installation, on the client, does it upgrade ok? any errors logged in the logs in %windir%\system32\ccmsetup directory?

kingskawn

RE: Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI. Monday, December 29, 2008 7:32 PM (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Rickym61
                                  You have both the current SMS and SCCM as the same site code?
                                  Do both have the same AD sites/ip subnets setup for the boundaries?
                                  Both in the same Forest?
                                  Are the 2 servers the same name?

A big forest with several domains in it. 1 domain is acting as central site. The other domains are secondary sites. The same for the SCCM structure as for the SMS2003. One central site is using site code XXX and the other is using YYY so no sharing the same code.
                                  The boundaries are based on AD. Not the same AD because each site has his own AD.
                                  The servers do not have the same computer name.

How is this done? VB, bat file etc?

Just by GPO. There's an ADM file inside the SCCM installer cd that you can install on a DC

When 1 of these machines has the SMS 2003 client installed, does everything work, gets all policies, runs adverts etc?

Well half I think because it gets installed for the old SMS2003 but has site code that is of an SCCM site.

When you install/upgrade from SMS to SCCM via ClientPush installation, on the client, does it upgrade ok? any errors logged in the logs in %windir%\system32\ccmsetup directory?

There are errors. I think it was an error 1603 and also an WMI problem. Will see this for exactitude tomorrow and attach logs. It's 2 AM and I'm a bit sleepy.

THANKS

kingskawn

RE: Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI. Friday, January 02, 2009 8:23 AM (permalink)
                                    More news

This are the options I choose during the client install found in Site Settings -> Client Installation Methods -> Client Push Installation

SMSSITECODE=CUP SMSCACHEFLAGS=NTSFONLY;COMPRESS SMSCACHEDIR="C:\Program Cache" SMSCACHESIZE=20

These are the error codes;

Client.msi.log

This is the ccmsetup.log

I can see that the problem is in the options of the installation of the client install but that's info I took from the MS website.

Ok I see what is wrong, I made a typo god****ed!!!!! I can't believe it it's not ntSFonly but NTFSONLY you dumbass!

<message edited by kingskawn on Friday, January 02, 2009 8:50 AM>

Rickym61

RE: Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI. Friday, January 02, 2009 9:04 AM (permalink)
                                      The error 1603 really doesnt help, could be anything, found this kb on 1603 but I have also seen this post by Wally advising not to apply extra permissions, so if Wally says no, I wouldnt do it.

Are all of the machines you are trying to upgrade all failing with the same 1603 or are some successfull? and it could be the one above really is hosed, not helping investigations?
                                      If you logon to one of these machines as admin acct, does installing the client manually work?

Also just did a quick google on the "Configuration Manager Client -- Installation operation failed." error and points to this post on the SCCM forum here, which may be of some use.

kingskawn

RE: Software Distribution Site Settings for the client are missing from WMI. Friday, January 02, 2009 9:26 AM (permalink)
                                        Thanks Ricky for you reply but I deleted the options (SMSSITECODE=CUP SMSCACHEFLAGS=NTFSONLY;COMPRESS SMSCACHEDIR="C:\Program Cache" SMSCACHESIZE=20) and put this instead:

"SMSSITECODE=AUTO"

My clients were directly installing the SCCM client. What I want to do, correct, is putting the right options with the client installation. By default for example there's only 250MB that is administrated to the client cache. I want more and options like compress that compresses the info (software) that the clients gets. So I 'll use those options for a future site or maybe upgrade the clients I have now with those options.

PS I'll look at the sites you posted, thanks

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                          Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 28

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9