myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Recompose GUID issue w/VMware in SCCM 2007

sdunham818

• Total Posts : 9
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 6940
Recompose GUID issue w/VMware in SCCM 2007 Friday, October 12, 2012 3:55 PM (permalink)
[Helpful answer received] / [List Solutions Only]
While attempting VDI w/VMware 5.0 I am recomposing machines from a VMbase image. When I do this the GUID gets duplicated. When I install the SCCM agent on your parent VM, and let it discover, the smscfg.ini file will have it's own GUID... If you deploy VM's from this parent VM, all linked clones will have the same SCCM GUID. Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, could you provide some reference for me to research and if this is resolved in SCCM 2012.

elgwhoppo

• Total Posts : 14
    • Scores: 2
    • Reward points : 11660
    Re:Recompose GUID issue w/VMware in SCCM 2007 Monday, October 15, 2012 11:42 AM (permalink)
    [This post was marked as helpful]
    Hey there, 
    This article goes over how to properly prepare a client for imaging, which if you're making full clones in a VDI. 
    http://technet.microsoft..../library/bb694095.aspx

However, you asked specifically about linked clones, which can be prepared using quickprep, which basically just changes the SID and creates the new computer account in the domain. As you've noticed, this process doesn't change the SCCM client GUID, which results in duplicates in the SCCM console. If you're using linked clones that aren't assigned to any user, I'd think about whether or not to even have the SCCM client in the base image. It probably wouldn't be worth it because, any time you want to make a change to a pool of non-persistent desktops, you'd just change the parent image and recreate the pool. Also, the pools can change so frequently, it wouldn't be much help from an inventory standpoint. 

Now if you're using linked clones with persistent users, this exactly describes the situation you'd be looking at. I'd suggest a running a script that you can run to strip out the unique SCCM GUID as a part of the quickprep/sysprep process. Here's a batch file I use which relies on ccmdelcert.exe, which I believe can be found in the SMS toolkit. 

rem Clean unique SCCM client data
    net stop Wuser32
    net stop CcmExec
    ccmdelcert.exe
    del %windir%\smscfg.ini /f /q
    del %windir%\system32\ccm\logs\*.* /f /q

Alternatively, here is a VBscript that I haven't tested which fixes remote machine duplicate IDs without the use of ccmdelcert.exe. 
    http://www.blogmynog.com/...plicate-smssccm-guids/

In SCCM 2012 there are some improvements that will automatically identify which clients are virtual, but I'm not sure what impact that would have on the GUID generation/duplicate issue you've raised. I'll see what I can find on that. 
    <message edited by elgwhoppo on Monday, October 15, 2012 12:16 PM>

elgwhoppo

• Total Posts : 14
      • Scores: 2
      • Reward points : 11660
      Re:Recompose GUID issue w/VMware in SCCM 2007 Monday, October 15, 2012 11:45 AM (permalink)
      Here's the link I forgot for how to prepare the SCCM client for imaging:

sdunham818

• Total Posts : 9
        • Scores: 0
        • Reward points : 6940
        Re:Recompose GUID issue w/VMware in SCCM 2007 Saturday, November 03, 2012 10:46 PM (permalink)
        Thanks for all the great information elgwhoppo!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message