myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

SCCM 2012 and SCCM 2007 Environments Coexistance

klopez

• Total Posts : 88
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 35770
SCCM 2012 and SCCM 2007 Environments Coexistance Wednesday, November 06, 2013 7:07 PM (permalink)
I need help!

We are in the process of setting up a SCCM 2012 enviornment and planning on only migrating server clients this year while workstation/desktop clients will be migrating sometime later next year or two.  I need to have both the 2012 and 2007 environments coexist.  I have read you cannot have overlapping boundaries and need to figure out what to do becuase our SCCM 2007 environment boundaries are all AD Sites and the AD Sites contain many many subnets.  Our subnets are share subnets, meaning they contain both servers and workstations on them.  I really really don't want to have to weed through all the subnets and parse out the IP ranges that are servers vs workstations then import those into the two environments.  Additionally, new workstation clients will continue in the 2007 environment until they are all ready to migrate.

How can I have SCCM 2012 and SCCM 2007 live in harmony without having to touch the boundaries in the 2007 environment?

Any help and suggestion are very helpful!
Thank you,

Kathy Lopez

skissinger

• Total Posts : 4871
    • Scores: 464
    • Reward points : 124310
    Re:SCCM 2012 and SCCM 2007 Environments Coexistance Friday, November 08, 2013 8:37 AM (permalink)
    Yeah, it is a bit of a challenge.  First thing, in your head, wrap your brain around boundaries vs. boundary groups (if you haven't already) and then that (during coexistence) when you'll check the box for the different boundary groups about "use this boundary group for site assignment" vs. when you'll have a boundary group that will only be used when you go to a distribution point's properties, the Boundary Group tab, and associate that boundary with that DP.

Once you "get" that difference, you'll perhaps do something like.... duplicate your boundaries in cm12 that you have in cm07.  Create Boundary Groups... only to be used by your distribution points.  Those boundary groups  (that you use for the DPs) may or may not be the same ones you'll use for Site Assignment (once you decide to switch to cm12 completely).

While you keep cm07 around, simply don't ever check the box about "use this boundary group for site assignment".  For CM12 clients, you WILL have to explicitly tell them during client install ccmsetup SMSSITECODE=C12  (or whatever your cm12 site code is).
    If you can only have one single, standalone primary, of course that's much easier... Are you more than 100k clients?  and need multiple primaries?  Then it gets more "fun" for site assignment in a mixed environment.
    mofmaster@myitforum.com
    My Blog
    Microsoft MVP - ConfigMgr

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
      • No New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages