myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Inventory does not get processed properly, site reset required ?!

iglatz

• Total Posts : 681
  • Scores: 25
  • Reward points : 23770
Inventory does not get processed properly, site reset required ?! Monday, November 11, 2013 6:42 AM (permalink)
Hi folks,

I have an issue in my test environment I cannot figure out why it's happening. Environment is running on Server 2008 R2 SP1, SQL 2008 and SCCM 2012 R2. All roles are installed on a single server. One single domain, all machines belong to the same domain, no workgroup clients.

When adding new machines, I do run inventory actions manually from Control Panel or use the Right-Click tools to get informations asap. The inventory itself is configured to run one a day. Checking the inventory file, I can find the line "Inventory: Successfully sent report. Destination:mp:MP_HinvEndpoint, ID:......" in the InventoryAgent.log of each of the agents. On the server, nothing happens in MP_hinv.log. No entries, no errors, nothing. Rebooting the server doesn't help. I couldn't find any files in any of the inboxes having either syntax errors or something else. I had 12 machines being stuck like this, not only with HINV, but SINV and Scan results also. Doing a site reset fixed it. After all services had been up and running again, the MP_hinv.log and MP_sinv.log started to populate with all missing inventory. Since then, reporting inventory is fine. 

I thought, OK, this might have been an issue with the R2 upgrade and added 3 more clients. Same effect, no inventory or scan results at all. All other machines that had started processing after the first site reset, were still adding their delta inventories as shown in the log files. Waited the whole weekend for the 3 new machines, nothing. Just did a site reset and guess what: inventory was processed from the 3 machines.

Any idea what's going on? Never had to do site resets for inventory or scan results to be processed. The funny thing is that as soon as the SCCM agent version R2 is installed, all clients pick up a security patch package that is published to all machines, so communication itself with the MP is at least working in some way. I've no clue where to look further.  I cannot do site resets all the time, even if it's only a test environment.

Ingrid

skissinger

• Total Posts : 4868
    • Scores: 464
    • Reward points : 124080
    Re:Inventory does not get processed properly, site reset required ?! Monday, November 11, 2013 1:55 PM (permalink)
    no files hanging out in inboxes\auth?  like in a retry subfolder?
    If it's only new clients... is it (possibly) that they aren't bing correctly registered?
    What if... (just thinking as I type) you put the MP role (and only the MP role) on some other server; so that the logs/inboxes relating to the MP role are completely elsewhere; so that it's (a bit) easier to see what is or is not happening in the logs when a client communicates (or in your case, fails to communicate) ?
    Just some random ideas... maybe you've already tried all of the above.
    mofmaster@myitforum.com
    My Blog
    Microsoft MVP - ConfigMgr

iglatz

Re:Inventory does not get processed properly, site reset required ?! Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:13 AM (permalink)
      Hello Sherry,

as I've written, no files can be found in any of the inboxes, neither auth nor any other folder. I was really wondering where they came from after the site reset.
      I assume that the clients are registered correctly because their time stamp regarding policiy retrieval is up-to-date. They also pick up security patch installation.
      I'll try moving the MP role, I just need to find another server. Because of the test environment, we do not have a lot of resources. I still have some clients to install the agent, so I would get a result pretty quick.

Ingrid

iglatz

Re:Inventory does not get processed properly, site reset required ?! Tuesday, November 12, 2013 9:47 AM (permalink)
        I did install a new MP on a different server, removed the role from the site server and checked whether the new MP does process inventory and status messages. Installed 3 new agents, got back their status and client activity information into the console, but no inventory. I triggered Hinv on all active clients using the right-click tool from the console but only "older" agents reported back.
        Did a site reset again, but this time, the new clients didn't process either. I'm really stuck what's going on and will did into it deeper next week. Maybe time will solve the issue, it was always necessary to be patient when working with SMS/SCCM.
        I'm glad it's only a test environment.

Ingrid

Riser

• Total Posts : 265
          • Scores: 10
          • Reward points : 84820
          Re:Inventory does not get processed properly, site reset required ?! Tuesday, November 12, 2013 10:00 AM (permalink)
          How are you adding the new clients? Cloned virtuals, physical systems with an image, etc?

iglatz

Re:Inventory does not get processed properly, site reset required ?! Tuesday, November 12, 2013 10:05 AM (permalink)
            Maybe I used the wrong term. With "Client" I do mean the SCCM agent. The machines itself already exist for quite a while and are a mixture of virtual and physical machines. I didn't install them, but I assume that they're not cloned in any way.
            As I've written, status messages regarding policy retrieval and client activity come in from every agent, I'm only missing inventory information from newly installed agents, even when I do trigger inventory manually.

iglatz

Re:Inventory does not get processed properly, site reset required ?! Monday, November 18, 2013 9:53 AM (permalink)
              Update on this:
              I installed the actual November OS patches on the site server and the MP server on Friday and rebooted them. Since then, I can add new systems installing the agent and inventory gets reported either by triggering via the console or waiting for the regular schedule. I definitely rebooted both the systems more than once over the last 2 weeks, but only a site reset helped more or less. Now, everything runs as expected.

One of the miracles in SCCM, I'll never understand.

Ingrid

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages