myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Server 2012 R2 clients

jheaton558

• Total Posts : 62
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 22730
Server 2012 R2 clients Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:55 PM (permalink)
Current - CM12 SP1, no CU

I've had a couple of these being built in our environment.  Currently, it appears that the CM client gets installed, but SCEP doesn't.  The install file gets copied over to the box, but the program doesn't get installed.

I'm not looking at going to CM12 R2 yet, but I did see that CU3 adds functionality for Server 2012 R2 clients.  Will this allow SCEP to be installed as well?  I read the description of CU3, and it states:

Supported Platforms This update adds support for Windows 8.1-based and Windows Server 2012 R2-based client computers in Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1. Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 are added to the supported platform list for the following features:
  • Software distribution
  • Software update management
  • Compliance Settings

I'm hoping that the Software distribution line addresses my concern, but wanted to verify with you guys.

Thanks,
Joe

Riser

• Total Posts : 265
    • Scores: 10
    • Reward points : 84820
    Re:Server 2012 R2 clients Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:18 PM (permalink)
    Did you set the client policy to manage SCEP? On the SCEP policy, the first two drop downs should be True/Enabled. One is to manage them, the other is to install it.

jheaton558

Re:Server 2012 R2 clients Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:42 PM (permalink)
      I'm not sure what policy you're talking about, but SCEP installation to a new PC goes right along with the SCCM client install.  Everything has been working perfectly there.  The issue is we now have a couple of Server 2012 R2 boxes in the environment.  My coworker was able to get the SCCM client installed, but SCEP wouldn't install.  I've found out today that this is because I don't have CU3 installed, which is what I'm now working on.  Once that's upgraded, I'll push the new client out to my endpoints.

Riser

Re:Server 2012 R2 clients Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:30 PM (permalink)
        I don't have my lab up right now but you need to set the Client Policy to tell SCCM to install the client and manage it. I would start by verifying your policy is getting deployed down to the client. I believe default settings are to  bring the SCEP installation files down but not to install until you set it within the policy itself.

jheaton558

Re:Server 2012 R2 clients Thursday, November 14, 2013 5:37 PM (permalink)
          Ohhhhh!!! I gotcha now.  The Client Settings policy.  Yes, we do have that set to Manage Endpoint Protection and to Install Endpoint Protection.

My guess is, that in the background, or if I go back and look at the logs, I'll find the error telling me that the current SCEP client doesn't work with Server 2012 R2.

I'm working on planning the upgrade to CU3, but there's a couple of items that I need to take care of first.

Riser

Re:Server 2012 R2 clients Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:56 PM (permalink)
            Sorry I didn't realize you were talking Win2k12 R2.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmgrteam/archive/2013/09/16/support-questions-about-win-8.1-and-winsvr-2012-r2-for-configmgr-and-endpoint-protection.aspx

Yeah, you'll want to go to SCCM R2 but be aware there are some issues with R2 that may delay your decision to move to R2, or at least be in a position to do a site restore.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message