myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Pretty Good FrontEnd Clone on 2012 R2 / MDT 2013

glen8

• Total Posts : 2
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 220
Pretty Good FrontEnd Clone on 2012 R2 / MDT 2013 Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:04 AM (permalink)
Hi all,

First time poster

I'm working for a company rolling out a new installation of SCCM 2012 R2.  The company is a large college and I have been tasked with helping them image new and existing client machines.  Currently they are using GPSI to install software based on the clients OU location in AD.  The software packages are assigned to OUs which relate to the physical location in the college eg:

OU is B103 (B103 is a class room studying business)
GPSI is assigned to B103 OU to install the business applications

My goal is to remove all GPSIs and perform all software installs via SCCM.  This is where I'm getting stuck.  During the task sequence I need to query AD and report back the OU structure so the technician can assign the client to the OU.  I need a variable passing back to the task sequence so I can install the correct software packages.

My thinking is this can all be done through Pretty Good FrontEnd clone, but I do not know if it works well with MDT 2013.  I've gone ahead and installed it.  I've added in the extra files to the MDT boot image, but 1.  it doesn't run automatically, and 2.  I can an error when manually running wscript frontend.wsf

The IIS part seems ok as I can query AD fine so I am assuming there is something wrong with the script or boot image?

The actual error being reported is:

Line 57
Char 5
Object required: 'oEnvironment'
Code 0

This is when it's launching the HTA file.  I've done a little troubleshooting by manually running all the scripts with cscript to see what's going on and there is a reference to not being able to find a Microsoft bdd utility file (something to do with Active X).  That would be a red herring perhaps?

Just wondering if anyone could offer me a little help, as without this script I am really going to struggle.  The last resort is to create a basic vbscript to ask the technician to enter the room number, but if they get it wrong (ie, it doesn't match the OU) then the task sequence is going to fail.

Thanks very much!!!!!
Glen.
<message edited by glen8 on Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:01 AM>

Riser

• Total Posts : 273
    • Scores: 10
    • Reward points : 93140
    Re:Pretty Good FrontEnd Clone on 2012 R2 / MDT 2013 Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:44 AM (permalink)
    Not familiar with the script but have you looked at using UDI/User Driven Installation for this? Since you have MDT integrated, it might make it a lot easier for everyone if you looked at using it. It would likely be easier than the script approach you are currently using.

glen8

• Total Posts : 2
      • Scores: 0
      • Reward points : 220
      Re:Pretty Good FrontEnd Clone on 2012 R2 / MDT 2013 Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:01 AM (permalink)
      No I haven't, I'm pretty good with SCCM but have had little reason to use the MDT tools until this project

Can the UDI stuff query AD as pass TS variables back to the task sequence?

Riser

• Total Posts : 273
        • Scores: 10
        • Reward points : 93140
        Re:Pretty Good FrontEnd Clone on 2012 R2 / MDT 2013 Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:52 AM (permalink)
        It can be user driven, meaning they walk through a GUI and select what they want, what OU to place the client in, etc. As they enter that information you can have your task sequence install necessary applications. The entire process is GUI driven and the real magic happens back within your task sequence. I would recommend taking some time and looking it over.

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5250-using-sccm-2012-rc-in-a-lab-part-18-deploying-a-udi-client-task-sequence-with-mdt-2012-rc1-integrated-in-configuration-manager-2012/

Read it over and see how it can help you and your techs out. You could either have a single UDI task sequence, or multiple ones depending on how you want to manage them.

chiners_68

• Total Posts : 850
          • Scores: 5
          • Reward points : 86890
          Re:Pretty Good FrontEnd Clone on 2012 R2 / MDT 2013 Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:46 AM (permalink)
          put all your applications in the TS then use WMI queries on each application to set whether it installs or not.

e.g.
          VLC Player
          WMI Query (SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE name like "B103")

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message