myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Automatic Client Upgrade

emacintosh

• Total Posts : 53
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 20040
Automatic Client Upgrade Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:12 AM (permalink)
Hi all,

We're currently at SP1 CU1, but will be installing CU3 next week.  From what I've been reading, we'll need to enable Automatic Client Upgrade in order to upgrade the SCEP client moving forward.

Does anyone know if SCEP upgrades installed via Automatic Client Upgrade will reboot devices?  Or does it depend on how we have Endpoint Protection configured in the Client Settings policy?  Same question for SCCM client upgrades too, because we do have some clients that are still not at SP1 yet.  

As of now, our users do not have any maintenance windows configured, so we're a little worried about machines rebooting at random times of the day because of SCCM/SCEP upgrades.

Thanks!

bmason505

• Total Posts : 3327
    • Scores: 250
    • Reward points : 92200
    Re:Automatic Client Upgrade Tuesday, December 17, 2013 2:51 PM (permalink)
    The automatic client upgrade doesn't do CUs; it'll just make sure anything less than SP1 gets the SP1 client.  Or if you install R2, the R2 client.  There is a DCR in to get it to do CUs as well.  I never heard that you need the upgrade enabled for SCEP, but it should still be a very rare thing if you already level set clients to SP1.
    Brian Mason
    MCTS\MS MVP - ECM 
    http://www.mnscug.org/

emacintosh

Re:Automatic Client Upgrade Tuesday, December 17, 2013 10:06 PM (permalink)
      Thanks Brian.  Yes, I know that CUs aren't handled via the automatic client upgrade.  But a recent patch released for the SCEP client platform states that future updates need to be handled through SCCM.  And there is a great article detailing just how automatic client upgrade feature facilitates the upgrade of the SCEP client.  I'm mostly just concerned with reboots and if/how to best control them.

Or maybe I'm just reading the kb article wrong?  Certainly a possibility...

Anti-malware platform update: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2907566

Installation information System Center 2012 R2 Endpoint Protection clients and System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection clients After you install this update package, you must enable the Automatic Client Upgrade feature in the Configuration Manager Administrator Console. The Endpoint Protection agent will be upgraded, depending on the values that are defined in the client policy retrieval settings and in the Automatically upgrade client within days setting.

How SCCM upgrades SCEP
      http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmgr_geek_speak/archive/2013/09/09/using-configuration-manager-automatic-client-upgrade-to-upgrade-to-the-latest-system-center-endpoint-protection-client.aspx

bmason505

Re:Automatic Client Upgrade Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:26 AM (permalink)
        Ouch.  Well that must be how they're forcing engine updates now.  Anyway, short of some Visual C++ update for ancient clients, I've never heard of CM client upgrades causing reboots.
        Brian Mason
        MCTS\MS MVP - ECM 

Jason_King

• Total Posts : 7
          • Scores: 0
          • Reward points : 8960
          Re:Automatic Client Upgrade Thursday, January 09, 2014 2:45 PM (permalink)
          I have done several upgrades for all the CU's and to R2.  I have not had a client upgrade cause a restart.  I have seen some clients restart because they had a pending reboot however.

jmorse

• Total Posts : 3
            • Scores: 0
            • Reward points : 1570
            Re:Automatic Client Upgrade Thursday, January 09, 2014 3:39 PM (permalink)
            If it's any consolation.  I have updated to SP1 and then CU1 last summer and then SP2 two weeks ago.  I don't recall the Config Client of SCEP forcing a reboot.

emacintosh

Re:Automatic Client Upgrade Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:01 AM (permalink)
              Thanks everyone.  We are going to talk to Microsoft as well to ease our concerns.  The server team here thinks that SCEP updates did reboot their servers when they deployed SP1.  But we didn't have those reboots suppressed in the client settings at the time.  They also don't have any maintenance windows configured right now.  

So our main goal is to make sure that enabling that setting won't result in "random" reboots.  There is also the loss of control that comes with enabling it, but if it works w/o problems, I don't think that will be an issue. 

bmason505

Re:Automatic Client Upgrade Wednesday, January 15, 2014 4:26 PM (permalink)
                I'd never manage a server without MWs.  I'd actually refuse to.  I want that agreement set with the owner from day one.
                Brian Mason
                MCTS\MS MVP - ECM 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages