myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

SCEP with SCCM 2012 - Replace traditional A/V software?

mbradley275

• Total Posts : 13
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 14950
SCEP with SCCM 2012 - Replace traditional A/V software? Wednesday, December 18, 2013 11:52 AM (permalink)
[Helpful answer received] / [List Solutions Only]
Currently using SCCM 2007 with McAfee Antivirus and in the process of planning an upgrade to SCCM 2012.  As I understand it, SCEP is free through our EA but I am reading poor reviews of SCEP online.  Can anyone share their personal experience?  Is this an effective product and has it allowed you to discontinue use of other A/V software?

jkabaseball

• Total Posts : 142
    • Scores: 9
    • Reward points : 56160
    Re:SCEP with SCCM 2012 - Replace traditional A/V software? Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:51 PM (permalink)
    [This post was marked as helpful]
    We switched over from Symantec and it is as good if not better then what we were using.  The manageability of it is so much easier since it's integrated in SCCM.

Riser

• Total Posts : 265
      • Scores: 10
      • Reward points : 84820
      Re:SCEP with SCCM 2012 - Replace traditional A/V software? Wednesday, December 18, 2013 11:36 PM (permalink)
      Do you have any specific concerns about SCEP against other software?
      I've been in several environments where we have switched from Kapersky/McAfee/TrendMicro/Symantec to SCEP. In most cases SCEP was able to find issues that other AVs missed.
      I personally haven't seen any issues - my experience is that SCEP updates up to 3 times a day, roughly 6-9am, 12 noon, and around 4-6pm in the afternoon.
      Though I have seen some SCCM admins get confused on how to manage SCEP, apply policies, or manage making exceptions.
      You will want to use a SUP with endpoint protection, otherwise I think you lose some important reporting features. If you're not using a SUP, you might not get accurate reporting on definitions being applied, etc.

npherson

• Total Posts : 395
        • Scores: 59
        • Reward points : 72700
        Re:SCEP with SCCM 2012 - Replace traditional A/V software? Sunday, December 22, 2013 5:41 PM (permalink)
        I've helped a dozen organizations move from other products over to SCEP.  It is good A/V, and is by far the most manageable solution out there.

I would reframe the conversation and stop thinking of it as 'free'.  When talking with customers about their A/V strategy, the discussion is about the fact that you have already purchased SCEP.  If you are considering another product, what makes it so much better that would justify not using what you have already paid for?

I hope that helps,

Nash
        <message edited by npherson on Sunday, December 22, 2013 5:42 PM>
        See my blog posts on MyITforum:
        http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/author/npherson

mbradley275

• Total Posts : 13
          • Scores: 0
          • Reward points : 14950
          Re:SCEP with SCCM 2012 - Replace traditional A/V software? Monday, December 23, 2013 8:24 AM (permalink)
          Thanks for your input.  Sounds like SCEP is definitely worth looking into.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message