myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Network Adapter not installed, trying to OSD Lenovo x240

P3nnyw1se

• Total Posts : 1
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 100
Network Adapter not installed, trying to OSD Lenovo x240 Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:53 PM (permalink)
 <-- why can't I remove this :)[/style]

Hey Guys I've been at this issue for 3 days.
And I'm running short on ideas.
Enviroment: Windows Server 2012, SCCM 2012 SP1, CU3.

Prelogue
I'm fairly new with SCCM, I spend the last 3 months learning it, creating task sequences, installing applications, distributing and deploying.
A few weeks ago I started OSD'ing computers with a Windows 7 x64 Enterprise.
Lenovo T61, T500, T520, X230 and HP 8300, which is now running smoothly.
3 days ago we got a badge of Lenovo X240, and thats where my troubles begin.

Problem: When the Lenovo X240 enters the Windows PE, it will reboot right after saying 'preparing network connections

Initial thought: Everything I can find online points toward a driver issue in the boot image.
Important to remember: this very same task sequence, boot.wim etc. works on all these other models, I've tested that every single day.

What I have tried/confirmed, without luck:
- I've injected the driver "IntelĀ® Ethernet Connection I217-LM/I218-LM " from both Lenovo's and Intels website, into the boot image.
- I tried the win 7 x64 version, and the win 8 and win 8.1 version which is the same one, I've tried them all at one and seperately
- I make sure that when I Update Distribution Point with newly injected drivers that I select the correct 'content' the new boot.wim
- using a command prompt before it reboots I've:
      A: Confirmed with 'ipconfig' no adapter is installed
      B: Browsed to Windows\System32 and confirmed the driver I injected into the boot image is actually there.
- I've made sure the Windows PE is using the correct boot.wim which is a Windows 8, x64
- I've confirmed the that in the wpeinit.log it fails during installation process of the network adapters. Where on a T520 I just installed an hour ago, using the exact same procedure it succesfully installs a driver.

- I've made sure the computer doesn't have a malfunction, by manually installing both Windows 7 x64 Enterprise and Win 8.1
where win 7 would require me getting it a network driver, win 8.1 would contain the files itself.
In both cases the card intalled was: IntelĀ® Ethernet Connection I218-LM

-I updated my BIOS
-I made sure(reading about this online) that my BIOS has the correct date/time set 

My Conclusion:
It doesn't seem like my SCCM 2012 is causing any problems, I've recreated the boot images from scratch, I've been through everything I could think of, and the result is that this works on all models, except the Lenovo x240.
All the logs I've read, all the googling I've done, makes me 99% sure its the network adapter not getting installed.

But now I'm out of ideas, cause I've tried all the drivers, win7, win8, win8.1 .. together.. seperate...
And these drivers work on the machine when manually added.

[/style][/style]
<message edited by P3nnyw1se on Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:00 PM>

rtruss

• Total Posts : 509
    • Scores: 35
    • Reward points : 35740
    Re:Network Adapter not installed, trying to OSD Lenovo x240 Friday, January 24, 2014 1:33 PM (permalink)
    how is the unit booting?  is it booting uefi?  Have you verified that the wim file that is booting is the one you injected the drives in to?  Did you pull down the lenove sccm driver pack and used the driver from that? here is the url: http://download.lenovo.com/express/sccm.html
    Roger Truss
    Windows Administrator
    SCCM Admin
    MDT Admin
    Kaspersky Admin :( 

If you find someones post helpful please let them know by rating them. ;)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
      • No New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
      • Locked w/ New Messages
      • Locked w/o New Messages
      • Read Message