myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

2 days spent with MS tech Support, Nothing.Started as lost Stat Msg, expanded to MIF DOOM.

keepreading

• Total Posts : 7
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 1440
2 days spent with MS tech Support, Nothing.Started as lost Stat Msg, expanded to MIF DOOM. Monday, January 20, 2014 7:59 PM (permalink)
I've done alot of searching and today marked the conclusion of my 2 day working with MS tech's over the phone. The issue started because of really slow replication to a site for osd. That is not the issue that has me writing this post. There is a larger issue at hand but it is alluding me, and so far the two MS techs that I've worked with have gotten me no where.

Where to begin(I'll try to be quick and can provide any log snippets);I finished the quarterly WIM for production and noticed that replication took 35 hours instead of the usual 10. Watching the logs i could see that the package was replicating but the status messages that used to get logged were non existant. The last WIM I replicated for our WES image created 15k status messages and all though is embedded is still close to the same size, also networking took a look at the traffic, it was almost zip aside from this transfer. This WIM when it completed only logged 12 status messages. But that is just the start. Every day when i come in I check the inboxmon.log and resource mon, on our central to make sure nothing is running aground. This last month I've had to bounce the entire environment, 2 primaries and 1 central because of a backlog of ddr records that stopped processing all together. Before I could even get to the bottom of those issue hinv went off a cliff today, and this time a simple restart didn't fix it.

Let me say that Im doing my best, currently reading 07 unleashed, and am subscribed to rod trents vids on BDNA. Our environment is considerable approx 20k devices with 280 secondaries. I came on board 7 months ago to handle OSD and quickly got thrown into the mix with all SCCM admin. duties, the only other person here only does software packaging and didn't know what inboxes were until I brought them to his attention. I'm still a LOOOOOOOng way from a novice let alone proficient. So please go easy on me here. This is my first post.

As stated in the title the pressing issue it seems to me would be the insane amount of MIF files that are not getting processed. I followed the creation(after fixing WMI) of the root\ccm\policy namespace, xml file, and verified that it went off to the MP. This one machine that I'm using as a test is in our HQ so goes straight to one of the primaries. Where the problem is occuring is the MIF outbox\hinv.box. There is currently 90k plus files in there and the sms_inventory_dataloader has been screaming, along with a few other components(note:its not a handful of hosts flooding they are all different machinenames). I'm really afraid the wheels are coming off this car and I can't do anything to stop it. I've been working with a MS rep, had them transfer me to a different one today because the last guy wasn't telling me anything this forum and 5 minutes of searching couldn't tell me. 

With that said I've been searching and before you blast me with UTFSE I have, for a week now. I've gotten our IUSR account issues resovled among other things(were native mode but no longer have any ibcm clients). The system status in the console had more red in it than the lobby of the shining. I've been going over flow charts, technet, and google for almost 3 days straight now and things just seem to be getting worse. The best threads I found relating to this particular issue is this   and this. If that is correct then that means I have potentially 100s if not 1000s of clients that have either become corrupt or been deleted from the DB, and that would mean an INSANE amount of work. Am I looking in the right direction?

I hold tremendous respect for this forum, it is the goto place for sccm information. I wouldn't be posting this question if there wasn't some urgency to the situation. Yes there is still plenty of disk space on the servers, thats about the only green areas i have left. Starting with the sms_inventory_data_loader, the mifs are mostly warning about being deltas and needing to run full hinv, but we have not had a large influx of new devices. No more than the norm i.e. 10 to 20 a week, and nothing to spike 1000's of records and the heart beat is set for the default.  Any help other than get bent would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance and sorry this wasn't shorter, i just didn't know where to start.
<message edited by keepreading on Monday, January 20, 2014 9:55 PM>

gjones

• Total Posts : 2415
    • Scores: 140
    • Reward points : 129130
    Re:2 days spent with MS tech Support, Nothing.Started as lost Stat Msg, expanded to MIF DO Tuesday, January 21, 2014 3:41 PM (permalink)
    I hate to say this but if you are working with CSS then you shouldn't be work with anyone else. Each team may step on each other toes and ultimately result in a much longer troubleshooting process.

keepreading

• Total Posts : 7
      • Scores: 2
      • Reward points : 1440
      Re:2 days spent with MS tech Support, Nothing.Started as lost Stat Msg, expanded to MIF DO Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:07 PM (permalink)
      After talking with them again today and the director of our department we had MS close the ticket. They didn't actually do any work and my fear was after spending 3 days and about 10 hours of our support hours that they would transfer me to a fourh technician who would finally solve the case and have it eat up way to many support hours. The third tech that I worked with today, all out of India was somewhat smarter than the previous techs but still didn't solve anything, nor was he able to provide any answers. Were going to lobby our tam to get our hours refunded since i did all the remediation.

The MIF files finally processed(turned out that a check box for allow bits file transfers was unchecked on the ccm incoming in IIS, still don't understand how that one check box seemed to fix the backup of mifs. Could be a coincidence and that the DB is just finally catching up). While that did get some things rolling and after the restart the MIF's processed I still am at a loss as to where the status message's are going for the Image transfers. Could you possibly point me a direction to determine why the transfer is only logging about 10 status messages vs the 18k before. Also one more question, I notice now in the MP\outbox\hinv.box that it is processing .xml files mainly with an occasional mif. The xml's are all in the megabytes usually less than 5 mgs but why xml. I thought they were supposed to get converted to mif from xml before this point, and previously I never saw one xml file in there they were all mifs. I'm still trying to learn this beast they call SCCM so I appologize if my question is stupid. 

I will say I have some feeling of pride that I've been able to get some things fixed through hard work and reading ALOT.

gjones

• Total Posts : 2415
        • Scores: 140
        • Reward points : 129130
        Re:2 days spent with MS tech Support, Nothing.Started as lost Stat Msg, expanded to MIF DO Wednesday, January 22, 2014 2:55 PM (permalink)
        so I'm unclear are thing work or not?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages