myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Conditional Windows Software Update

tom2139

• Total Posts : 3
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 220
Conditional Windows Software Update Wednesday, June 04, 2014 1:40 PM (permalink)
Hi,

I'm a newbie in Sccm an general in Windows administration...

Is there a possibility in SCCM 2012, to deploy Windows Software Updates only to members of a collection which are in a certain state, for example a simple text file containing a value or not?
Text file contains 1: Updates will be deployed and installed
Text file contains 0: Updates won't be installed at the moment

And could someone tell me how to Install Software Updates via a TS?
I have to deploy the software updates as available, right? And then deploy the TS with the step Install Software Updates?

skissinger

• Total Posts : 4939
    • Scores: 473
    • Reward points : 137820
    Re:Conditional Windows Software Update Thursday, June 05, 2014 10:59 AM (permalink)
    anything could be scripted... that said, what exactly is the end goal?
    I'm hoping that some of the built-in features of CM, like Service Windows, would be a better fit for whatever it is your final goal happens to be. 
    To me, you wanting to "do something" based on a text file means that some human is putting that text file there.  Seems high-maintenance to me.  I would hope that with a little planning, you could instead plan on what boxes should be in what Service Windows and allow (for example) the boxes on the East Coast can be patched on Saturday, and the boxes on the West Coast can be patched on Sunday.
    mofmaster@myitforum.com
    My Blog
    Microsoft MVP - ConfigMgr

donmcgowen

• Total Posts : 2
      • Scores: 0
      • Reward points : 220
      Re:Conditional Windows Software Update Friday, June 06, 2014 10:30 AM (permalink)
      We run a similar configuration in SCCM based on security groups. Some servers are designed to download and install updates automatically, some are set to just download updates, and some are set to never download updates. You create separate groups in AD, then create separate collections in SCCM. One collection downloads and installs, the other just downloads, etc. Then assign the AD groups to the collections you just created.

jkabaseball

• Total Posts : 152
        • Scores: 9
        • Reward points : 58360
        Re:Conditional Windows Software Update Thursday, June 12, 2014 7:38 AM (permalink)
        I, like probably everyone here, has some very specific ways to deploy updates.  I use two powershell scripts that seem to work very well.  I will deploy updates on Friday afternoon as available. If the user chooses, they can install them then.  One of the powershell scripts installs all available updates pushed to that machine.  It will download and install them right then and there.  I have another script that goes in after and checks pending reboot status and will force a reboot. I run then a few times to make sure all the updates get applied.  If someone takes their laptop home the weekend or turns their PC off for the weekend, I run the powershell script to install updates during the middle of the week and not the one to reboot.  It will just annoy the user until they reboot.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message