myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Remove/stop Application deployment without loosing compliance history

sundi712

• Total Posts : 5
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 640
Remove/stop Application deployment without loosing compliance history Tuesday, June 10, 2014 1:20 PM (permalink)
[Helpful answer received] / [List Solutions Only]
Hi I need to stop the deployment of an application to a collection but I do not want to lose the history of the deployment. Is there a way to delete an application/package deployment and keep the deployment's history (success rate,etc)?

Thanks!

Darren

• Total Posts : 72
    • Scores: 2
    • Reward points : 39710
    Re:Remove/stop Application deployment without loosing compliance history Tuesday, June 10, 2014 1:46 PM (permalink)
    in SCCM 2007, fastest way I know of would be to disable the program.  This does not delete any part of the posting or the history but prevents it from running until you correct what you need to. I would think you could disable a deployment type in 2012 much the same way?

Does that answer your question/concern?
    <message edited by Darren on Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:08 PM>

mdouglas_2014

• Total Posts : 36
      • Reward points : 2010
      Re:Remove/stop Application deployment without loosing compliance history Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:22 PM (permalink)
      SCCM 2012 has an option to "Retire" an application. Right click the app and choose Retire.

sundi712

Re:Remove/stop Application deployment without loosing compliance history Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:29 PM (permalink)
        Darren

in SCCM 2007, fastest way I know of would be to disable the program.  This does not delete any part of the posting or the history but prevents it from running until you correct what you need to. I would think you could disable a deployment type in 2012 much the same way?

Does that answer your question/concern?

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately this isn't an option, as I have other deployments assigned from this application. I'd prefer to not create another application just to move the existing deployments. For now I have just removed all members from the collection. There is an option to disable packages in 2012 but not applications  :)

sundi712

Re:Remove/stop Application deployment without loosing compliance history Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:33 PM (permalink)
          mdouglas_2014

SCCM 2012 has an option to "Retire" an application. Right click the app and choose Retire.

Thanks for the reply. I need to keep the application active because I have other existing deployments. Both required and available. Has Microsoft seriously not made this available?

mdouglas_2014

Re:Remove/stop Application deployment without loosing compliance history Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:36 PM (permalink)
            Do you want to keep the history only to keep track of who has the app installed?

mdouglas_2014

Re:Remove/stop Application deployment without loosing compliance history Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:58 PM (permalink)
              [This post was marked as helpful]
              What I do to keep track of these things are the following.

1. In Monitoring section of SCCM 2012 I create a folder with the name of the software. Then create query rules and query what computers have this installed and another query for who does not have this installed.

2. I then go to device collection and import that same rule into a new device collection and this gives me a good summary as well.

3. I use Compliance Rules to ensure that all computers are compliant with having the application installed via the auto detect technology of SCCM.

4. I take screen shots of all deployment results before I retire or remove the app or kill the deployment.
              5. The one thing I have not checked is somewhere in the built in reporting section of Monitoring I would think this would also keep a history of statistics of each deployment. Not sure though.

Try this query rule for your app.
              select distinct SMS_R_System.Name, SMS_R_System.OperatingSystemNameandVersion, SMS_R_System.LastLogonUserName, SMS_R_System.LastLogonTimestamp from  SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS on SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.DisplayName = "yourapplication"

<message edited by mdouglas_2014 on Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:39 PM>
              MDouglas
              MCITP,MCP,MCTS

sundi712

Re:Remove/stop Application deployment without loosing compliance history Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:21 PM (permalink)
                mdouglas_2014

Do you want to keep the history only to keep track of who has the app installed?

No I can use the device inventory or create queries/reports for this information. I would like to keep information on the deployment to the device. Regarding what computers were successful/failed, the time of the deployment, etc

sundi712

Re:Remove/stop Application deployment without loosing compliance history Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:37 PM (permalink)
                  Well the #4 is seeming like the best "solution" for now. A folder full of screenshots for the summary of a deployment smh.
                  I did find some reports under the Software Distribution - Application Monitoring that will give some summaries that can saved before deleting a deployment.
                  Thanks

mdouglas_2014

Re:Remove/stop Application deployment without loosing compliance history Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:41 PM (permalink)
                    Welcomes. If I think deeply into that I could take that application and make it available in the Software Catalog and provide a link to the pictures of the deployment. hmmmmmm might have to do that someday since i have a folder of past SCCM pushes.  Do yourself a favor and document everything! :)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message