myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Renaming Computers based on subnet / serial number, help greatly appreciated!

jonrowe81

• Total Posts : 45
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 11000
Renaming Computers based on subnet / serial number, help greatly appreciated! Friday, August 01, 2014 11:09 AM (permalink)
I have 5 sites that currently have 5 separate, identical task sequence...but one difference is there is a program one of my techs wrote that renames the computer to, for example, MPHS-SerialNumber.  

Our sites are as follows:

MPHS-
MPJH-
MPES-
so forth and so on

Each site has their own gateway/subnet, and so if I was able to put this ALL into ONE task sequence that would be amazing.

If given this, how would you all do this? I know that I can add the scripting/program/etc for each site to the task sequence, and then under options apply a conditional WMI query based on the subnet/gateway the client resides in, but I don't know HOW to do this. 

I've tried this:

Select * From Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration Where DefaultIPGateway="10.80.16.1"

And I get this error during the task sequence:
The task sequence execution engine failed evaluating the condition for the action (MPHS Rename) in the group (Site-Specific Renaming). Error code 4119. The operating system reported error 53: The network path was not found. 

I'm at a loss for how to achieve this, but i know it's something simple i'm missing...or I just need to completely re-evalute how we're renaming these computers and do it differently...anyone out there generous enough to help me out with this task would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages