awenlock

• Total Posts : 298
  • Scores: 196
  • Reward points : 34440

awenlock

Re:Microsoft Security Patches for August 2014 Saturday, August 16, 2014 6:37 AM (permalink)
    Microsoft have updated MS14-045 to remove the download link for 2982791 due to issues that some people are having with fonts or restarting machines.  Details below from the FAQ's:

What if I experienced difficulties restarting my system after installing security update 2982791? 
    Customers who are experiencing difficulties restarting their systems after the installation of security update 2982791 should refer to the Known Issues section of Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 2982791.

Why was this bulletin revised on August 15, 2014? 
    Microsoft revised this bulletin to address known issues associated with installation of security update 2982791. Microsoft is investigating behavior associated with the installation of this update, and will update this bulletin when more information becomes available. Microsoft recommends that customers uninstall this update. As an added precaution, Microsoft has removed the download links to the 2982791 security update. For instructions on how to uninstall this update, see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 2982791.

Microsoft are currently investigating this issue and this will be one to watch to see if/when the update gets re-released

MS14-045: Vulnerabilities in Kernel-Mode Drivers Could Allow Elevation Of Privilege (2984615)

Regards
    Alan

Bookerteee

• Total Posts : 1
      • Scores: 0
      • Reward points : 100
      Re:Microsoft Security Patches for August 2014 Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:45 PM (permalink)
      Someone kindly help. Am in IT audit of a big establishment where ther was no previous auditing. Am working on patch management auditing.
      How do I know the number of patched and unpatched servers/systems in the organisation without scanning tools.
      It is urgent pls

gjones

• Total Posts : 2525
        • Scores: 142
        • Reward points : 148270
        Re:Microsoft Security Patches for August 2014 Tuesday, August 19, 2014 4:59 PM (permalink)
        Bookerteee

How do I know the number of patched and unpatched servers/systems in the organisation without scanning tools.

It is not possible. you need some sort of system to scan your PCs. What are you using now? WSUS, CM12, etc?

akaplan

• Total Posts : 147
          • Scores: 38
          • Reward points : 22780
          Re:Microsoft Security Patches for August 2014 Wednesday, August 20, 2014 4:21 PM (permalink)
          There are free tools, such as the Microsoft Assessment and Planning Tool, ?http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1643.microsoft-assessment-and-planning-toolkit-frequently-asked-questions.aspx.  I know it will do an inventory, not so sure about patch status.  There are free trials, such as the SolarWinds Patch manager, ?http://www.solarwinds.com/patch-manager.aspx.  Never used either.

Another Alan

Alan Kaplan --- www.akaplan.com/blog

awenlock

Re:Microsoft Security Patches for August 2014 Friday, August 29, 2014 5:32 PM (permalink)
            Just to update that MS14-045 has been re-released by Microsoft.

If you have the previous version installed Microsoft recommend that you remove that first before applying this update.

MS14-045: Vulnerabilities in Kernel-Mode Drivers Could Allow Elevation Of Privilege (2984615)

Note: KB2993651 is the new KB number for this patch

Regards
            Alan

qqamresh

• Total Posts : 7
              • Scores: 0
              • Reward points : 2270
              Re:Microsoft Security Patches for August 2014 Monday, September 08, 2014 9:26 AM (permalink)
              I heard MSE was going to be stopped. Is it true?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message