myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Exclude collection membership

chrisbirley

• Total Posts : 7
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 1000
Exclude collection membership Thursday, August 14, 2014 7:19 AM (permalink)
Hi
im having some issues - i have 3 device collections that are mutually exlusive of each other. I have seen the feature for exclude collection when determining membership rules, but when i try and exclude a collection from the second collection i get told that i will create a circular dependency and it wont let me. does anyone know how to circumevent this?

basically i have Collection A Collection B and Collection C - machines in A cannot be in B or C, machines in B cannot be in A or C, and machines in C cannot be in A or B, so i need to set up the exclude collections part but it wont let me.

thanks

Chris
<message edited by chrisbirley on Thursday, August 14, 2014 7:29 AM>

gjones

• Total Posts : 2525
    • Scores: 142
    • Reward points : 148270
    Re:Exclude collection membership Thursday, August 14, 2014 8:26 AM (permalink)
    Exactly how have to created the collection? what exact are you using for you query?

chrisbirley

Re:Exclude collection membership Thursday, August 14, 2014 9:17 AM (permalink)
      sorry, i should have added more detail....

the collection has has been made as per any normal colelction, and its membership is done via direct rules, no queries.
      the idea of this is to prevent people from adding machines to collections if they are already the member of another collection.

thanks

gjones

Re:Exclude collection membership Thursday, August 14, 2014 10:22 AM (permalink)
        You can't if you are using direct membership. You can only do this using queries.

What exactly are these collections going to be used for? Why do you care if a PC exist in all three collections?

chrisbirley

Re:Exclude collection membership Thursday, August 14, 2014 10:52 AM (permalink)
          the collections are used for installing different variations of software, a business, project and training version. the idea is that if you are in the collection for business version, then you can be in the group for the project and training versions and vice versa

gjones

Re:Exclude collection membership Thursday, August 14, 2014 12:04 PM (permalink)
            Why don't you use Security groups to control this? Why does it matter is the other version are installed? Since you are CM12 have you looked at the app model and how you might be able to prevent one version for superseding the other versions?

chrisbirley

Re:Exclude collection membership Thursday, August 14, 2014 12:07 PM (permalink)
              the problem we have is that each variant of the software has certain requirements and part of the install procedure removes files of the other variants if they exist. if we have a machine in 2 of these collections, then both will be fighting with each other and continuously installing its version. the different variants have different ini files - the basic install is the same, but it is the configuration afterwards.

thanks

gjones

Re:Exclude collection membership Thursday, August 14, 2014 2:09 PM (permalink)
                Again have you looked at the app model for this?
                Why do you think that they would flight each other? The Last one in should win.

chrisbirley

Re:Exclude collection membership Friday, August 15, 2014 2:50 AM (permalink)
                  the reason for the variant fighting with each other is that they have requirements that the look for such as certain files being on the C drive. the applications are set to continuously check for the presence of these files. if a machine is added to a second colection, it will not see the files it needs, and run its scripts - this will add its required files, but remove those files that belong to the other variants. when this happens the first aplication no longer meets the requirements so it will run its program again therby getting into a loop.

the only other option i can see is to get the machine to automatically remove itself from the collection once the install has happened - is this possible with a regular application/ package install, not a task sequence.

this would however mean that any updates that are done to the software files would need to be re-pushed out instead of just automatically happening.

Chris

gjones

Re:Exclude collection membership Friday, August 15, 2014 8:26 AM (permalink)
                    Again have you looked that the App model to do what you are looking for?
                    Again you can do this with a query but NOT with direct memberships.

Honestly, how often does this happen? if it is only a few times then don't do anything about it. Let the service desk fix the problem when they notice it.

chrisbirley

Re:Exclude collection membership Wednesday, September 10, 2014 10:25 AM (permalink)
                      Hi gjones

yes i am using App Model, which is why i am going to get the conflicts. just to explain fully:

i am installing SAP, and it has been requested for us to have 3 different versions of the application - or to me more specific 3 different ini file versions for allowing connectivity to different environments.
                      i have 3 different packages for this and 3 different collections - this all works fine on a singular level. the app model checks for the existence of a version file (the SAP ini files are updated periodically - this also allows me to update the files too). part of the install is to remove the other package ini files so as to not cause confusion to the software. because of this if a machine is in 2 or more of the collections, it will install the newest pacakge fine, but the original software will now not meet its requirements, and will run again - this will then mean that package 2 will not meet its requriements and will reinstall which will mean that pacakge 1 now doesnt meet its requirements.

i have got round part of my problem by querying the precense of a file, and this then makes the machine 'disappear' from the collection, so that it wont run the software again, but this doesnt negate the problem of the software competing with each other - only that it will take longer due to the file check having to be run.

is there a way of getting a package to automatically remove itself from a collection upon successful installation?

gjones

Re:Exclude collection membership Saturday, September 13, 2014 9:47 AM (permalink)
                        I still don't understand why you can't use the application model to prevent each application from installing overtop of each other, particularly if you use a script for the detection method?

chrisbirley

Re:Exclude collection membership Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:51 AM (permalink)

my pictures wouldnt stay, so have put them into a PDF in DropBox (remove space between https and :):

https ://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51081202/SCCM%20SAP%20application.pdf

the above are pictures of what i currently have setup for one of the applications - the Business version. this application is split into 4 smaller sections - Install of the SAP program and a Print fix which all work fine - and are the basis of each of the 3 applications.

now comes the different parts - the third part of 4 removes the SAP config files that are no longer needed, and as part of the vbs that runs copies 2 files onot the system for versioning and verifying what type of install is installed. these files are needed for the detection method.

by default the machine is left in the collection post install it is not removed. this means everytime the machine policy is refreshed the detection method is re-run. if only one version has been pushed to the machine then all is good. when the machine is added to another SAP collection (so it is now in 2 SAP collections) it recognises that the SAP GUI and Print Fix are not needed to be installed (detection methods), and sees that its newly requested install detection method is not met, so it runs its vbs script. this removes all signs of the previously install SAP config files and versioning, and then puts it own in place.

when the original applcation checks itself, due to it being in the oroginal collection still, it will detect that its files are not there, and hence will remove the files recently installed and set itself back up.

i believe that i am using the app model, but please do correct me if im wrong.

thanks
                          <message edited by chrisbirley on Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:27 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message