myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Hopefully a simple custom report question

bluzier

• Total Posts : 199
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 21400
Hopefully a simple custom report question Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:33 PM (permalink)
I'm trying to tweak the built-in report named "All inventoried files for a specific product".  I want to include Username and NetBios Name from the v_R_System view.  I'm having a heck of a time figuring out the join for this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

gjones

• Total Posts : 2531
    • Scores: 142
    • Reward points : 148830
    Re:Hopefully a simple custom report question Thursday, August 21, 2014 5:58 PM (permalink)
    What wrong with using the drill trough report, called Computers with a specific file?

bluzier

Re:Hopefully a simple custom report question Thursday, August 21, 2014 6:03 PM (permalink)
      Unfortunately there are numerous files under the same product name. Homegrown exe files. I need to see all executables associated with this particular product. Thanks.

gjones

Re:Hopefully a simple custom report question Thursday, August 21, 2014 7:23 PM (permalink)
        Err but if this is the case, there will be 1000's of lines within other report. How exactly do you plan to use this report?

bluzier

Re:Hopefully a simple custom report question Friday, August 22, 2014 7:14 AM (permalink)
          Here is what we are trying to achieve.  We have a product named "caffeine Application".  When I run the "All inventoried files for a specific product" report, I see that there are numerous .exe files associated with this product.  This report does not show me the computer the executable is installed on or the user.  When I try to drill down through the product in that report I receive an error (query execution failed for dataset 'DataSet0').  Not sure if this would show me the information I need or not, but it doesn't work.
          I then found the report named "Computers with a specific product".  This report does show me all of the computers and users for a specific product , but does not show me the executable name.  I'm trying to get a combination of the 2 reports so we can identify which users and computers have which executables for the "caffeine Application" product.  This way we can send out a communication to those users to remove the product.
          Thanks again!
          Brian

bluzier

Re:Hopefully a simple custom report question Friday, August 22, 2014 7:43 AM (permalink)
            Ok, so this is interesting.  If I run the non-SRS report for "All inventoried files for a specific product", I can drill down into each executable it finds and it does show me the Netbios name and FilePath.  When I try to run the same report that is published on SRS, it crashes with the error I mentioned above.  hmmm...
            I inherited this environment so I'm still trying to understand "things" around here.  :)
            <message edited by bluzier on Friday, August 22, 2014 7:56 AM>

gjones

Re:Hopefully a simple custom report question Friday, August 22, 2014 8:13 AM (permalink)
              This blog post will help you see the real error within SSRS reports.
              http://be.enhansoft.com/post/2013/01/16/Enabling-Remote-Errors-in-SQL.aspx

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message