myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Installing a SEPM replication server

simon

• Total Posts : 20
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 21280
Installing a SEPM replication server Wednesday, November 05, 2014 2:19 AM (permalink)
Dear All,
I have been running SEPM with one replication server for 2 years on windows 2008R2 with no issues. i have also upgraded to SEPM version 12.1.4a currently working with no issues. now I need to move my replication server to a new server. the primary will not be touched
since its in production i best thought of setting up a new replication server,  and i would latter remove the currrent replication server from the management console so followed the below steps

Install SEPM on a new server with new IP
then i start the management server configuration wizard
then at the last screen attached herein i see preparing database then initializing database , the database is being created and initialized and replicating database and after some few minutes i get an error

Unable to connect to the server specified..
i am able to telnet to the specified port that is 8443 firewall on both machines is off

appreciate your help and advice

regards

simon

Attached Image(s)

awenlock

• Total Posts : 305
    • Scores: 196
    • Reward points : 35460
    Re:Installing a SEPM replication server Thursday, November 06, 2014 8:08 PM (permalink)
    Hi,

The error you are seeing is coming up when you are putting in the database details.  When you are going through the wizard are you setting this new server up as a replication server, ie an additional server for your site?  Usually the database would install on your new server as well and then replicate with your primary?

Are you seeing any errors in the event log?  If you can detail what you are doing with the initial steps in the wizard I'm sure we can get you up and running :)

Regards
    Alan

simon

Re:Installing a SEPM replication server Sunday, November 09, 2014 1:25 AM (permalink)
      hi alan,

How are you .. I do hope you remember me.. its been more than 2 years since i post in this forums  since my EP server were running perfect.
      I do have the primary and replication server running perfect right now but wanted to have another additional server. I will try as per your post and let you know
      Thank you so much and still very grateful to you for the issues I resolved 2 years back with your help and advice
      once again thanks a lot and god bless U

simon

simon

Re:Installing a SEPM replication server Sunday, November 09, 2014 6:33 AM (permalink)
        Dear Alan,
        just to revise my setup
        I currently have a SEPM 12.1.4023 server ( ip 172.16.X.175 ) and replication server ( ip 172.16.X.176 ) running in production serving almost 1000 users with no issues for the past 2 years or so.
        my goal is to move the replication server to new hardware
        so the best i thought would be to setup a additional replication server ( ip 172.16.X.177) and then delete the current replication server .
        so after install SEPM i start the management and configuration wizard ..

now as i go through the steps now.
        choose option => install an additional site  from the setion what would you like to do? Next..
        server name is 172.16.X.175 ( my main SEPM server ip)
        replication port 8443
        system administrator name---
        password...  next page
        keep the defaults.... next page
        database type is embedded( i keep the defaults) next page
        keep the defaults except specify a new password and i click next I see preparing database  then initializing database replicating database and a window stating ...
        site already exists do you want to replace with a new site and when said yes i see replicating database
        and this time is said failed to connect to server. now I got a different error message
        if I telnet to port 8443 its working fine. also firewall is disabled on both servers
        attached is the new snapshot

apprecite your reply

thanks and regards

simon

Attached Image(s)

awenlock

Re:Installing a SEPM replication server Tuesday, November 11, 2014 8:50 PM (permalink)
          Hi,
          I think that you want to go through the Wizard and select the 2nd option to install an additional management server to an existing site, because you need to have the server part of your existing site and also in order for replication to work.

I will check this and update this post tomorrow but I believe that's what you need to do as you want the server to replicate the same site as your primary

Regards
          Alan

awenlock

Re:Installing a SEPM replication server Thursday, December 04, 2014 7:54 PM (permalink)
            Hi Simon,

Apologies I thought I had replied to this :(

Have you got this resolved now?

Regards
            Alan

AsmaMohd

• Total Posts : 10
              • Reward points : 1400
              Re:Installing a SEPM replication server Wednesday, December 31, 2014 7:06 AM (permalink)
              To install Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager for replication
            • Install Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.
            • In the Management Server Configuration Wizard panel, click Advanced.
            • Select the number of clients you expect the server to manage, and then click Next.
              This panel is displayed only when installing the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager on the computer for the first time.
            • Check Install an additional site, and then click Next.
            • In the Server Information panel, accept or change the default values, and then click Next.
            • Accept or change the name in the Site Name box, and then click Next.
            • In the Replication Information panel, type values in the following boxes: 
            • Replication server name -  The name or IP address of the remote Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager
            • Replication server port - The default value is 8443
            • Administrator Name - The account name that is used to log on to the console with administrator user rights
            • Password - Provide a password that is associated with the Administrator Name that is specified
            • Click Next.
            • In the Certificate Warning dialog box, click Yes.
            • In the Database Server Choice panel, do one of the following actions, and then click Next.
            • Check Embedded database, and then complete the installation.

<message edited by AsmaMohd on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 7:11 AM>
            • Asma Mohammad

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages