myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

Windows 8.1 Pro unable to connect to Server 2012 R2 shared printers

covnetadmin

• Total Posts : 1
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 100
Windows 8.1 Pro unable to connect to Server 2012 R2 shared printers Wednesday, May 18, 2016 11:46 AM (permalink)
The short version:  Server 2012 R2 print server inherited with job failed with boot issues.  Ended up reloading OS new as restore job wouldn't overwrite registry/system info.  Recreated all shared printers (mix of Xerox, HP, Brother).  All our workstations are Windows 8.1 Pro.  My workstation had no issues connecting and printing.  Many in the building would connect and display "No driver found".  "Windows can't find a driver for <printer> Class Driver on the network.  To locate one manually....."   Hit [OK] and get "Windows cannot connect to the printer". "Operation failed with error 0x00000490".

As I said, my workstation (and others) works without issue.  Mine was loaded from scratch and I know many that are having issues were built from an image before my time, but it affects more than one model of workstation so I suspect the image isn't the only cause.  I build a second 2012 R2 server from scratch and ended up with the same issue so I know it isn't that particular server.

I've managed to get printing restored by moving to all Type 3 drivers (PITA) and allowing non-admins the ability to update drivers on the workstations.  I don't see this as a long term solution but unless I can figure out why these Windows 8.1 systems are unable to use the type 4 class drivers I may be stuck until we upgrade to Windows 10 (whenever that is).

Thoughts?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages