myITforum and Windows IT Pro Forums

iSeries, job tables and IPL

philosurfer

• Total Posts : 1
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 100
iSeries, job tables and IPL Monday, December 19, 2016 2:10 PM (permalink)
Hey - I hope someone sees this one sooner rather than later.  I'm working for a company that lets a third party manage parts of its system (running 7.1). About 2 months ago I got a system message (sorry, can't recall the ID) that indicated the system job tables were almost full.  I looked into it and suggested better sizing on the SYSVAL front and an IPL with the option to reset the job tables; it worked well for a while.  Recently I noticed a system slowdown and checked the job tables; they were getting up in number.
I called the head of operations and he told me that the third party said you no longer need to IPL the system, and that the system took care of job tables automatically; so they just boosted the max table size.  My old-school information tells me that the system will still have a lot of job table entries that it won't "manage," and that the company's P05 box also has a slower job lookup system (slower memory type for that table in addition to the obviously lesser processor setup).  So: is it true that we don't have to IPL any more (or maybe only do it much less frequently), and that the system will take care of this on its own?  (to me it seems a contradiction: the system wouldn't have sent a warning message (too many entries in the table) if it takes care of everything on its own)  I've tried searching at IBM but haven't gotten anywhere.

Riich

jsev

• Total Posts : 16
    • Scores: 2
    • Reward points : 28430
    Re:iSeries, job tables and IPL Monday, December 19, 2016 2:53 PM (permalink)
    Basically, you need to do a cleanup, and you really need to look into this, possibly with some urgency.

When a job is started on the system, an entry is added to a job table.  The entry is removed only when the job ends and all spooled files are written and deleted for the job (reports/joblogs).
    NOTE:  If the job tables get full, no new jobs can be initiated by the system.  That's any job, interactive as well as batch, so when they get full, nobody will be able to sign onto the system.

I would suggest using the DSPJOBTBL command to see why your job tables are so full, I would guess you have a lot of output (joblogs etc) from jobs that are not getting deleted.  You need to look at a policy to start purging old output.  Also note, that there is a maximum number of job tables the system can create, if you keep increasing the job table size to the maximum you could be in serious trouble if they all get full.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
      • No New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
      • Locked w/ New Messages
      • Locked w/o New Messages
      • Read Message